Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 19:39   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Epoxie On My Steel Yawl Bottom

They do make sandblasters with a cup around the nozzle that retrieves the dust as you blast. They are great for spot blasting but a large surface might be overwhelming. A yard may approve of the cup blaster if they see it in action. SAND BLASTING KIT WITH GUN,CUP 4 NOZZLES, SANDBLASTING GUN

Would be great for those low spots that show up.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:07   #17

Boat: Steel schooner 30 mtrs
Send a message via Skype™ to h the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaminraulf View Post
Thank You, that is good advice, I will invest the time and read those posts, as yet I still don`t know what caused the problem,
Hi RoaminRaulf,
thanks for the acknowledgment. After you have done enough research, seriously consider purchasing an up to date simple Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge. They are now much cheaper than a few years ago, and certainly considerably less than calling in a professional to do a job. You can take your time and go over the entire hull, inch by inch if you think some parts may need it. It's not Rocket Science and you will very quickly get the hang of it. Make a plan of each side of the hull, keel to deck, port and starboard, about the size of a paper chart. As you take the readings, write the figure in chalk on the steel at the point. Mark up an area of about meter square, at a time. Enter the average bad readings on your plan for that area. Aim to do most of the hull at 12" centres, you will quickly find the bad areas and be able to come back to them in greater detail later. It will be most important to try and see the internal surface of the hull, particularly any poor areas. You may find that the holes are the result of internal corrosion, as well or instead of electrolysis. In any event finding the cause is just as important as providing a cure.. I have had a case several years ago, where a New Built substantial steel vessel with 10mm plate, was holed right through in six months, at a Marina, by a combination of wrongly connected electrical system and the wrong type of antifouling (copper cote antifoulings are a definite No No for steel vessels).. One last comment, I am at least 3 years older than you, and will need another twenty years to sail all the areas I want, so forget short term fixes and do the job properly, its quicker and a lot cheaper in the long run. When you have completed your own vessel, you will have the knowledge and experience to hire out your services to other needy owners for a small fee. h the boat.
h the boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 20:17   #18

Thank You H The Boat,
wow I am getting so much advice on here that my head is bulging, and it`s all good sound advice, and I thank you one and all, a friend of mine told me about these ultra sonic testers , and it`s worth looking into,
I will keep everybody informed when I start blasting or grinding, and that should be soon
ED Gushue sailing yawl "ESTRELLITA 1V"
roaminraulf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel