Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2011, 16:24   #1

Boat: Vagabond 47
Dried Varnish Drips on Awlgrip

While varnishing the toe rail I accdently dripped some varnish on the awlgriped side of the hull and didn't notice it until today. Does anybody know what I can use to take the varnish off without doing damage to the awlgrip.
Thanks
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 16:33   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: dried varnish drips on awlgrip

Let it dry for at least a week and then carefully peel it off with a razor. I like to sand the corners off the razor blade first to prevent gouging. When it's off wet sand with 2000 and polish to remove any staining.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 17:56   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Re: Dried Varnish Drips on Awlgrip

Thanks for the tip on the razor corner.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 18:08   #4

Take a wooden tongue depresser, cut the end off square then using a sanding block sharpen the cut off end to look like a wood chisle, Wood will not gouge the paint but will lift off the varnish, this tool is also good to remove rust particles (off the anchor chain) that are stuck into your deck paint.
Old 23-09-2011, 18:20   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Try WEST system 804 plastic stir sticks for the same effect. They come with a sharpened scraper end that holds an edge much better than a wood tongue depressor.

WEST System 804 Plastic Mixing Sticks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2433.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	32001  
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 19:00   #6

Plastic is good but a woody is better. The wood is a little less flexible, the plastic has a tendency to develop a curved set which hurts its efficiency. Just my 2 cents
Old 23-09-2011, 19:32   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

If the varnish is still soft (fingernail compression) you could try heating it w/a hair dryer and one of the soft scrapers, then some rubbing compound.
Old 23-09-2011, 21:13   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You can use paint thinner on awlgrip, but do NOT sand it unless you want a new paint job.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 14:22   #9

Boat: Vagabond 47

Thanks for all the replies, the drips I have are not real heavy drips but rather light. I have used my fingernail to scrape off the heavy drips before. I don't think the razor trick would work either they are that light. I was thinking the rubbing compound would work but I thought I would ask if anyone has done this before I make it worse. The awlgrip is white so O don't think it is as bad as tring to rub out a darker color such as red or dark blue. I will try the paint thinner also and let you all know how it comes out.
Thanks again
captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:30   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

from the awlgrip website:

Do:
Wash the surface regularly with Awlwash 73234 and water. Regular cleaning will avoid build up which can slowly attack the topcoat, prematurely ageing the coating.
Awlgrip and Awlgrip HS only:
Solvents such as Awlprep T0008, Awlprep Plus T0115, toluene, laquer thinner, M.E.K., acetone or kerosene may be used to soften or remove heavy build ups of grease and grime, felt tip markings or spray paint on the topcoat.
Awlcraft 2000 only:
Use only mild solvents to remove stubborn stains. Awlprep T0008, mineral spirits, xylene, kerosene and diesel fuel are acceptable for use on Awlcraft 2000.
For Awlgrip, Awlcraft 2000 and Awlgrip HS:
Apply solvents with soft clean cloths. Wipe up solvent quickly. Do not allow solvent to dry on the surface or puddle and soak into the surface. Wash these areas with mild detergent and water to remove solvent residue.
Always thoroughly rinse all surfaces with fresh water after cleaning with detergents or solvents. Latent solvent residue can attack the topcoat, while detergent residue will attract dirt.
Use distilled white vinegar and hot water to remove stubborn salt stains.
Use Awlcare 73240 by hand only to remove stubborn diesel soot stains.

Do Not:
Do not wax.
General:
Wax build up ages and yellows very rapidly, creating the need to maintain the wax and causing the topcoat to appear yellow. Wax build up also collects dirt, increasing maintenance.
Awlgrip Only:
Waxing with a wax which contains no abrasives or cleaners will probably not hurt the surface, but at the same time offers no benefit. Regular waxing will not increase the life of an Awlgrip Finish. Wax can temporarily restore the gloss to small scuffs, scrapes, scratches. Sometimes allowing the postponement of repairs or repairing until a convenient time.
Awlcraft 2000 Only:
Waxing will help maintain the gloss on Awlcraft 2000 finishes, especially those which have been buffed or polished. Remember waxing leads to having to maintain the wax.
Do not wax areas unless they are dull or hazed.
Do not use abrasives, scratch pads or polishing compounds. Scratching the surface gives dirt a place to cling while wearing out the resin layer. Using abrasives of any kind will reduce the overall life of the finish and voids the Awlgrip Limited Warranty.
Do not allow contact between the Awlgrip, Awlgrip HS or Awlcraft 2000 Topcoat and teak cleaners. Most teak cleaners contain acids or caustic agents that stain and discolor an Awlgrip, Awlgrip HS or Awlcraft 2000 Topcoat.
Do not use strong solvents (e.g. lacquer thinner, M.E.K., acetone) to clean Awlcraft 2000, Awlbrite Clear or Awlspar Varnish.
Do not allow wet equipment (e.g. seat cushions, coils of line, sails, sail covers, coolers) to trap and hold moisture against Awlgrip Topcoats. This condition can result in blistering or delamination of the Awlgrip, Awlgrip HS or Awlcraft 2000 Topcoat.
Do not use acrylic †Teflon® coatings over an Awlgrip, Awlgrip HS or Awlcraft 2000 Finish. Use of these coatings void the Awlgrip Limited Warranty.
Do not “shrink wrap” or tightly bind Awlgrip, Awlgrip HS or Awlcraft 2000 Topcoat surfaces with plastic wrappings.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 13:07   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

That's a ot of useful information Don.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 20:47   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Do Not! Do Not! Do Not!

I doubt I'll ever buy Awlgrip. I like to treat a boat like a boat not a Corvette.

Tags
varnish