Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 21:55   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Do I need to repaint the bottom?

My boat will have been on the hard for just over 12 months when I launch her in September for a 10 week cruise in the Adriatic.

Before hauling, the antifoul (Hempel Mille Dynamic) was working fine.

Will it still be effective after so long out of the water?

If not, would lightly sanding the existing paint rejuvenate it?

Would it be good enough for a 10 week cruise or do I still need to send the crew overboard to scrub once a week ?

I’m going to haul and repaint properly before next season but there seems to be plenty of paint left and I didn’t want to waste it just for a short cruise. It'll probably spend another 6-9 months on the hard before relaunching.

Cheers,

Bryan.
BRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 00:03   #2

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Do I need to repaint the bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRob View Post
My boat will have been on the hard for just over 12 months when I launch her in September for a 10 week cruise in the Adriatic.

Before hauling, the antifoul (Hempel Mille Dynamic) was working fine.

Will it still be effective after so long out of the water?

If not, would lightly sanding the existing paint rejuvenate it?

Would it be good enough for a 10 week cruise or do I still need to send the crew overboard to scrub once a week ?

I’m going to haul and repaint properly before next season but there seems to be plenty of paint left and I didn’t want to waste it just for a short cruise. It'll probably spend another 6-9 months on the hard before relaunching.

Cheers,

Bryan.
Well, if you google the product sheet you can keep it out of the water for up to 3 months. But 12 months is I'd suggest too long. YOu may have to give it a water blast and a new coat.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 00:18   #3

Boat: Lagoon 440

Thanks, RC.

I did see the product sheet before I posted but I was wondering what happens to the paint when it's been left to dry for that long.

Does it become so hard/cured that the copper and biocide can no longer be exposed through the self polishing action? Does it "set" all the way through the thickness of the paint?

I was hoping I could expose a new surface by sanding but, I guess that surface won't "self polish" if the whole coating is rock hard and will therefore not offer any new antifouling properties after just a short time.

It was cleaned with a high pressure wash when hauled a year ago. Maybe I can just slap a quick coat on what's there, just to get me through this cruise then haul and sand properly.

Has anyone else left this type of paint dry out without recoating? What happened?
BRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 00:58   #4

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

It wasn't a short time, it was four times the maximum time permitted.

Why don't you give their info and help number a ring and see what they say?

Also, if you give it a scrub before your cruise ten weeks it's hardly going to come up with a lot of growth so I think your trip would be fine.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:38   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRob View Post
It was cleaned with a high pressure wash when hauled a year ago. Maybe I can just slap a quick coat on what's there, just to get me through this cruise then haul and sand properly.

Has anyone else left this type of paint dry out without recoating? What happened?
How old was the paint when you lifted her out 12 months ago. What I mean by this is there might not be much life left in the current paint scheme if it was only a thin coat or two. Add in the action of pressure washing which I am convinced reduces the life of ablative paints and you probably have nothing left worth trying to save. The good news is that if it has been sat on the hard all summer the hull will be dry so slap a good coat on and go sailing. This assumes the existing coat is in good condition, if it has started to crack and peel then you have a much bigger task on your hands.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Honestly if it's just a 10 week cruise I would probably just go with what you have. Expect to dive once a week to wipe it down and just know that the anti-fouling is going to be terrible, and you might be presently suprized, but probably not.

But then int mind wiping the bottom of the boat regularly, so it's really up to you.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:20   #7

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Assuming you are largely on the move for your 10 week cruise I suspect your knotmeter would have to read hundredths for you to see any impact. If you wipe it down every couple of weeks you should have negligible growth.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:39   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

You may also want to explore HMD alternatives at the same time. We found it one of two worst A/F paints we ever used. Yet we are not in the Adriatic where HMD may work fine (?)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 18:16   #9

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

we sanded off the old anti-foul and used diy hard copper for drying the boat out in the mud pen for months at a time / freshen the surface up with a green pot scourer before a longer trip / international biolux worked alright by lightly sanding with fine wet & dry and fresh water after a long spell between the tides (shortens the working life of the paint ) you should be right for 10 weeks / unless you are racing clean her up when you get back / wonder how slocum got on using tar may have been able to live of oysters on the hull
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:52   #10

Considering that you are already hauled out, why don't you play it safe as well as take full advantage of being on the hard and re-coat the bottom. No wondering, and maximize the time before needing to haul again.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint