Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 11:10   #1

Delamination ....?

What does delamination really mean? To me, in the past it's meant that the fiberglass is not bonded, or separated from itself. ie: the laminate has separated. You could peel a layer of glass from the glass buildup....
Lately it seems the word is being used all the time for any deck problem, soggy core, dead spots, maybe even the laminate shrunk back from the balsa..
Are they one in the same? Just wondering what other's concept of what it means is....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:46   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Delamination....?

I think it's one of those things that has technical meaning - and common usage that may or may not differ.

FWIW, it means to me that something that was meant to be bonded no longer is - and that not restricted to fibreglass on fibreglass. Exactly what it means being largely defined by what the screwdriver says!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 17:26   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Laminas are the layers of matrix (e.g. glass) and/or other materials. Then there is the bonding element (glue, resin, whatever).

Delamination is when the layers become lose due to bonding element's (e.g. resin) failure or to the lamina's failure.

Delamination may result either from overpowering the bond (e.g. in solid GR laminates) or else from failure of the bonded element (e.g. in sandwiches the core may fail).

In solid laminates the failure most often happens when the timing was off - unlikely in modern vacuum single-injection techniques.

Epoxy over poly productions/repairs are likely to delaminate if flexed too much.

A properly balanced, one-shot, poly or epoxy GR laminate is very, very unlikely to delaminate

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 17:33   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Exactly what they said
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 18:45   #5

Boat: Cal 27

"delamination" applies to hulls in that layers of glass become "unglued". "delamination" applies to decks when the fiberglass skin comes loose from the core material.
cas206 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delamination