Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2011, 10:17   #1

Boat: PT-11
Countertop Material

I am replacing the plywood and laminate galley counters on my catamaran. I am hoping to do it with a lightweight composite material instead of formica on plywood. Any ideas for a corian-looking material without the weight? This is a cat so I have to keep the weight down.
Thanks
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:33   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Countertop Material

There are plenty of threads that have gone over this issue. If you are doing the work yourself the Corian materials requires a few specialty tools. The part that throws the expense factor out of whack is the cost of the epoxy to glue the materials together. I redid my countertops and used stainless steel over plywood and then went with wooden fiddles. If I were to do it again I would use the Corian and wooden fiddles. This would have saved the cost of the epoxy and made the Corian more price competitive. What the Admiral liked about the SS was that you could set hot items on the counter and not worry about burning the counters. Here is a link to some pictures https://picasaweb.google.com/1100267...75138332040882

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Countertop Material

A quick search found:

Granite-Light.com - Lightweight Alternative & Replacement Granite Countertops

Honeycomb Core Panels with Solid Surfacing - Lightweight Solid Surface Panel by Nida-Core

http://ezinearticles.com/?Lightweigh...one&id=3744774

LamiLight - Lightweight Laminated Countertop and Surface Material

Microthin Granite Panels : Marble Master

They all claim to be light weight....I guess that's relative.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote