Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2010, 16:26   #31

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Some people need a new car to drive with a warranty to feel comfortable driving down the road....some of us prefer a good used car and spend the difference on something else...its what makes the world go round and more important what lets you sleep at night that makes the biggest difference..

My lowboy operator had a choice to make a couple years ago after wrecking is Kenworth tractor...60K to rebuild it or 120K for a brand new one....He opted for the later...Many heartaches later with the thing he now wishes he would have rebuilt his old one...A guy just never knows.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 17:11   #32

Boat: a sailing boat
A small engine in Europe is 4 to 6 thousand EUR (ex. all the handles and bells). Transmission included.

As the engine gets bigger the price gets higher but not directly so. A bigger engine is 'cheaper'.

Now from this point much depends on what you do yourself and what you will pay to be done.

I think when re-powering you will want to replace some parts of the system (shaft seal, bearings, maybe some of the fuel system, etc).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 17:24   #33

Boat: PETERSON 44
I see it different from still raining. There are bunches of considerations. Like how much is coming out to pull the motor. Thats all time and money and then there are periphereal pieces which may need to be replaced on either side new or rebuilt. I got my old perkins out and thought hell Im putting a new engine in after all that work. I did and that was good for me 3 or 4 years now Ive done routine mntc but nothing else. Thats a lot of time saved if something had gone not so well in the rebuild. Damn I love that naturally aspirated Cummins. May not be the right choice for everyone but it sure looks pretty and has had 0 problems.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 17:54   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I see it different from still raining. There are bunches of considerations. Like how much is coming out to pull the motor. Thats all time and money and then there are periphereal pieces which may need to be replaced on either side new or rebuilt. I got my old perkins out and thought hell Im putting a new engine in after all that work. I did and that was good for me 3 or 4 years now Ive done routine mntc but nothing else. Thats a lot of time saved if something had gone not so well in the rebuild. Damn I love that naturally aspirated Cummins. May not be the right choice for everyone but it sure looks pretty and has had 0 problems.
Oh I think were closer together then you think mate.....All Ive done is routine maintenance to my 5000 hour John Deere as well...and I know its got another 5000 maintenance only hours left it her..How do I know that...because I've gone over 10,000 hours with sister ships with out a hiccup...

I only presented my friends Lowboy tractor experience just to show there is no guarantee of trouble free just because you go new....Shoot Delmerrys engine ordeal is prof enough of that...and I have one of my own stories as well.

I think what separates us at all is just what I said ...your more comfortable with the feeling of new not presenting you with problems then I am...Im actually the other way round...If Im buying new Im going to thoroughly test it out on solid Terra firma first to make darn sure what goes in my boat wont strand me...

I know what going to happen what I turn the key to that John Deere engine.

So see... you actually have more faith then I do..

Ill put the new motor in the excavator where a step to safety is 3' down if she gunny sacks....the used proven one goes in my boat..

We all have past experiances to draw from...mine with brand new stuff is not that great...not worth the cost to get there to me.... Thats all..

The reason I say we are closer then you think...is in the fact that we both want trouble free engines...I guess Im just in a little better place in this one area to get there cheaper then you..Vice versa Im sure in other areas..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 25-09-2010, 00:43   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Rebuilding a classic...

I found there was a big difference between rebuilding one of the classic old diesels, like the Perkins 4108 and the Ford Lehman that have a wealth of knowledge and good parts availability and some of the more obscure models and makes that may not have stood the test of time as well and may have limited spare parts availability.

Keep in mind that a rebuilt 35 year old engine is going to be needing parts as it passes a half century and that can be a big ask.

I did bit of reading SS Little-Devil's other posts and the points that I noticed most were an interest in far off places, a liking for "high maintenance" women and an admiration for the smaller classic monohulls.

There does seem to be a bit of a contradiction here. I suspect that some women may prefer somewhat larger boats, and these may be desirable for the lengthier voyages, but at some stage the money runs out...

My solution was to go for a larger boat and to rebuild it myself, right down to repowering with a new John Deere. It's been an expensive and very lengthy process but I console myself with the thought that at least I'm still related!

It would have been cheaper and way easier to have brought one of the larger ex charter monohulls (like MarkJ) and started my cruise in the Caribbean, but where's the fun in that?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 07:01   #36

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Due to some smoking I was about to install my rebuilt injectors on my 28 year old W-beke 27 and thought I would do a compression check. Turned out #1 was very low. My old engine needed a piston and rings but the big issue is "While we are at it". Valve Job? Bearings? Pumps? Where do you stop?I opted to install a new 38 hp engine (Beta) My logic was that an old boat with new engine was worth more than the old boat with an old engine. The slight upgrade in HP did not require much and the boat is much more reliable for trhe long term.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 07:40   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
It would have been cheaper and way easier to have brought one of the larger ex charter monohulls (like MarkJ) and started my cruise in the Caribbean, but where's the fun in that?
I agree with Boracay 100%.....some of us really enjoy doing the work....Its hard to describe the satisfaction.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 07:52   #38

Boat: a sailing boat
Well said.

Some of us are into boats, some are into sailing, some into both.

I am not too good on engines but I try to do everything on our old MD7 by myself, or with a little help from my friends.

Aside from specific elements (e.g. the hp fuel pump) I find the diesel engine relatively simple and friendly machine, in fact - a fascinating one at times.

Then I go out and do the sailing.

I can recommend this attitude to anybody on tight budget as a must and to the rest of the company as an intellectual adventure.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 08:28   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Oh...I dont know....you might try asking him...

I live to tinker so my biggest concern with cruising is getting bored...but Im into sailing for the sail not the grease under my fingernail...

Old 25-09-2010, 08:35   #40

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Depends on what Perkins...Try that with my 4-154.. you wont get very far

I love my Perkin's...but being an out of production and small number build engine in the first place, makes it very difficult to find parts for let alone pay for them.

It will come completely out and replaced with a John Deere that I will de-tune to around 65 hp down from its current 80 if and when that day ever comes..I have the engine picked out ready to marinize for it here in my fleet already..Its in a machine I use almost every day at work...
Now Rain, what kind of boat has trac's? No wonder you had trouble at the yard. That thing won't even float! If you get it going fast enough it might plane or even fly but it won't float. You gotta straighten up.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 09:20   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Now Rain, what kind of boat has trac's? No wonder you had trouble at the yard. That thing won't even float! If you get it going fast enough it might plane or even fly but it won't float. You gotta straighten up.

Todd
LOL...Your a crack up...Thanks for letting me know where I went wrong..

Tags
refit