Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 16:50   #31

Re: Coronado 25 Refit / Rebuild

So how is the project coming? Any new pictures to post?
I have recently purchased a 68' C-25. It is currently in Idaho and I will be traveling over there in late March or early April to pick it up. I got it from a longtime friend of mine for $1500.00. Boat includes a lot of little extras, motor, main, 2 jibs and a spinnaker. According to my friend, it has been well taken care of. Boat has been rewired, two of the winches upgraded to self-tailing, bottom done with 4 coats of antifouling. Didn’t hurt that it’s been in fresh water all this time. I would appreciate hearing from readers about upgrades and modifications to their Coronados. I will attempt to post some pics when I get the chance. Thanks!
Captain.Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 18:02   #32

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

We sold the Coronado and bought a Seafarer 38, quite an upgrade for us. Here is a link to the coronado blog. Coronado 25 sailing adventure. Do you have a link or blog for your boat?
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 11:14   #33

Thanks for the reply- looking forward to reading about your new boat project. Looked at the link, but looks like it is still under construction. I have just barely started my blog, and will post a link after I get the boat home from Idaho.
Captain.Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 18:43   #34

I own 69 Coronado and I'm wodering about the keel.
It seems to be iron, with a long thread rod, that seems to bolt on. Seems there are three bolts with a backing plate.
Did you have any luck replacing the bolts? Did you drop the keep? Got any pictures?
Any info would be great!
Thanks.
tim22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 20:49   #35

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim22 View Post
I own 69 Coronado and I'm wodering about the keel.
It seems to be iron, with a long thread rod, that seems to bolt on. Seems there are three bolts with a backing plate.
Did you have any luck replacing the bolts? Did you drop the keep? Got any pictures?
Any info would be great!
Thanks.
Accually it is lead encapsalated in the fiberglass hull. It does have three or four keel bolts although as thick as the fiberglass is I don't think they do much. It is a very tough keel. Ours had two inch wood blocks in the bottom of the bilge that the bolts came up through. I have heard of people cutting out those blocks and using a thinner plate so they could get down to good threads on the bolts. Ours weren't too bad so we did not have to do anything.
Old 19-05-2015, 21:42   #36

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30
Unhappy Re: Coronado 25 Refit / Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
I agree, that is why we live and cruise on a Coronado 25. They are great and sturdy boats. With a few alterations make a great pocket cruiser.

I had one also, but had to sell it. The 1st owner put 1k extra led on her and sailed to HI. He stayed there for 8 yrs sailing over to other islands. The 2nd owner sailed to and from HI for the next 10yrs. the 3rd owner butcherd it.
well i was the 5th owner. I sailed it around the NW area in all types of weather. Enjoyed and miss that boat.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 21:45   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC45 View Post
I had one also, but had to sell it. The 1st owner put 1k extra led on her and sailed to HI. He stayed there for 8 yrs sailing over to other islands. The 2nd owner sailed to and from HI for the next 10yrs. the 3rd owner butcherd it.
well i was the 5th owner. I sailed it around the NW area in all types of weather. Enjoyed and miss that boat.
We miss ours as well. We sold it and moved over to the dark side.
Old 20-05-2015, 09:51   #38

Well, Ready to Go, thanks you for the info , but I am more confused than ever. In the manual I found online its says that the USA made Coronado has a bolt on keel made of iron, and the EU build boats have a one piece encapsulated keel of led. Is there a way to tell the difference? If we both have the encapsulated keel, then what is the point of the three bolts going through it?
Thanks for input!
tim22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 16:29   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim22 View Post
Well, Ready to Go, thanks you for the info , but I am more confused than ever. In the manual I found online its says that the USA made Coronado has a bolt on keel made of iron, and the EU build boats have a one piece encapsulated keel of led. Is there a way to tell the difference? If we both have the encapsulated keel, then what is the point of the three bolts going through it?
Thanks for input!
I am only famillar with the 25 footer and I have not heard of any of them that have a steel keel. There is a Coronado 25 group on yahoo with quite a few members. You may be able to get some info there as well. The bolts seem redundant considering the strenght of the encapsalted keel, but redundency is a good thing. I remember reading about a guy who deconstructed a C25 and wanted the lead. He said it was quite an ordeal to get to it.
Old 20-05-2015, 16:33   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Accually it is lead encapsalated in the fiberglass hull. It does have three or four keel bolts although as thick as the fiberglass is I don't think they do much. It is a very tough keel. Ours had two inch wood blocks in the bottom of the bilge that the bolts came up through. I have heard of people cutting out those blocks and using a thinner plate so they could get down to good threads on the bolts. Ours weren't too bad so we did not have to do anything.
? Well... which is it? encapsulated or bolt on? You seem to indicate both...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 16:41   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
? Well... which is it? encapsulated or bolt on? You seem to indicate both...
Both.

It has bolts that come up through the bottom of the bilge but from the outside of the hull it is seemless. I do not know the construction technique but it is encapsulated. You can not remove the keel without cutting up the boat.
Old 20-05-2015, 18:00   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The sister ship at Columbia, the 26 MK ii had a bolt on iron keel. Not absolutely sure on the little boats but the bigger Coronados used the same basic hull moulds of the Columbias with slight modification to the sterns. The Coronados were typically a couple feet longer than their Columbia Brethren. The Columbia 43 hull became the Coronado 45 because of a change from reverse to vertical to slightly aft raked transom. The Coronados had different deck molds. These larger boats had bolt on iron keels as well.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 08:18   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

I somehow got the idea that the 3 keel bolts on the C25 were used during production and weren't there for attachment in a traditional sense.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 17:50   #44

I hate to open a can of worms but I have a 6" diameter hollow spot in front of the v berth hatch, I am wondering if I should try the fill method or cut it out from underneath and glass in a section of ply. I also found a few small spots also about 5-6" diameter that sound hollow on the upper deck next to the sliding hatch should I explore and possibly open the can of worms or should I try the fill method on those as well?
socalsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 19:52   #45

If we're talking about a C25 the for sure just drill a few holes and inject epoxy. If it was a boat with a high quality reputation then a more involved fix might be in order. Fix it and sail it, my dad had a C25 in San Diego when I was a teenager, Lots of great times. After the McGregor 22 it seemed like a a real big boat. Have fun

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild