Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 05:31   #1

Cored Hull Rod Rigging

Hello Holmek, thought it might be better to start a new thread in the appropriate group.

No, we don't own a C&C 40, we own a C&C 61. It's has rod rigging and a cored glass/balsa/galss/balsa/glass hull with fairly massive ring frames and stringers. It is not cored on centerline or at the shear and it's all hidden under a forrest of teak.

The transom had wet core from work done by a large and famous yard. I cut off the outer skin and re-cored, faired and painted in a couple weekends. It came out ok, but I should have tied everything together with a final layer of cloth but I wanted to go sailing. It has a small crack in an area that is now solid glass that is only cosmetic but I'll have to fix it regardless. (I didn't take the time to do it right so now I'll spend the time to do it again). The rest of the boat is dry.

Here's a transom pic with the race team holding Joli down.

I have no fear of cored boats, we've owned foam and balsa cored boats for 40 years and if maintained they hold up well but if they do get wet it is not a big deal to repair. Dial up Fiberglast and order up some of that boat in a bottle and stuff to stick between the layers. I have in process pic's that i've posted before but don't have them on this computer, I'll dig them out.

Regarding rod rigging, again we've owned rod rigged boats exclusively for 40 years, the stuff is pretty much bullet proof. I would never go back to cable. Prior to buying this boat we contacted the spar maker for a quote to re-rig and then after purchasing the boat we contracted the sparmaker to remove and inspect the rigging. Per the analysis nothing was replaced, we're good to go and the rig has litterally been around the world. Hawaii, the Caribbean, the Great Lakes, the Med...

So, back to the C&C 40. I think they are pretty boats and good sailors. We looked at one but the 61 caught our eye. If you sea trial it you'll be sold. If there is wet core in the deck or hull it can be repaired, just build it into your offer. Get a good surveyor, make sure they remove the bottom paint in the area the check with a meter and make sure they sound everything well.

To me, a cored boat with a problem is a great opportunity to buy a nice boat for pennies on the dollar. "oh my god it's cored!! it's wet!! eek!! run!!" I just see dollar signs to the good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
Hi Joli, Do you have a C&C 40? I am thinking of buying one but am nervous about the cored hull and rod rigging for ocean sailing. Any comments welcome. Thanks, holmek
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A little about the C&C 61's:
Socery - Miracle at Sea

A History of C&C Yachts:
The History of C&C

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging