Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2003, 12:46   #1

pirate copper-epoxy bottom treatment

Has anyone had any experience with an epoxy combo barrier coat and anti-foul called, "Copperpoxy"? Their web site claims at least 10 years effective action. They are currently under EPA hold, but expect approval late this year. Thus stuff looks ideal for a blue-water cruiser. Any input would help.

Thanks Lon
judgeharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2003, 21:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
copper poxy

I have plans to use this paint on my Searunner trimaran. I have no direct experience with this but know of a few people who have used it and it has worked quite well. It will not keep slime or grass from growing so you need to scub the bottom periodically but it does a great job of keeping the hard growth off. Beaching my tri for an occasional bottom scub is no great hardship if it allows me to get away from the nasty toxic stuff.

Steve R
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2003, 15:16   #3

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
What are the basics on Copperpoxy? Who sells it at what price? What about price per unit of area? How much preparation is required?

How about a poll on bottom treatments?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2003, 23:28   #4

What is the best treatment for wood hulls?
I was thinking about trying the copper cladding. My boat is not too expensive so I'm willing to experiment.
I wondered about first covering the hull with hot melt modified bitumen roofing material, then bonding the copper to the membrane with heat. I wouldn't want the job of stripping it off if marinas won't accept the boat for environmental reasons
I'm new to the scene so maybe it's a rediculous idea or has been tried before. Those worms scare me the most
Old 29-11-2003, 23:51   #5

Thos

A good article for you ...

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/g...cksn0434%20%20

Troubledour
Troubledour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 00:47   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

copperpoxy

Sonosailer
Copperpoxy is made and sold by Americam Marine Coatings and I think they are located in Seattle. If you can not find their phone number let me know as I have it somewhere on my boat. Last price list I had has it for about $175 a gallon. It does not have the same coverage as a gallon of typical bottom paint so you need more. I figured it would cost about twice as much, not a bad deal when you consider the lifespan.
You have to remove old bottom paint but an epoxy barrier coat or gel coat is okay. It is basicly an epoxy with a very heavy load of copper flakes so it also acts as a barrier coat. If for some reason you change your mind in the future you can apply standard bottom paints over it without having to remove it.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:53   #7

Copperepoxy

You can also buy copper powder from West Systems and mix it with epoxy. I did this on my last boat as a barrier coat/secondary anti-fouling. Alas, I sold the boat before a year was over, so I can't tell you how well it worked.
Old 03-12-2003, 13:52   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The hard part is trying to keep the copper in solution (sinking to the bottom).
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 23:57   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

wood hulls

Thos
I remember reading an article in Wooden Boat several years ago about the guy who owns Wanderer III one of Eric and Susan Hiscock's boats. He was doing a refit and the hull was clad in thin copper plates with a layer of roofing felt set in some type of tar mixture underneath. I think Frank Mulville's old cutter Iskra also had a cooper clad bottom. Not so ridiculous after all. I think it is more common in the U.K. than over on this side of the pond.
It might be a good idea to put copper plate in certain areas that are difficult to access like between the rudderpost and hull if you have an outboard rudder.
If you do not already have a subscription to Wooden Boat I suggest you get one. I have had mine for over 20 years and think it is the best boating publication out there.
Old 02-01-2004, 22:28   #10

Thanks Troubledour and Steve,
I've been reading up on the copper.org site and other places.Technically "cladding" is a process that bonds the copper to the hull material as it is made whereas "sheathing" refers to what I'd be doing...Fastening the copper to the hull. In any case, I haven't read anything to disuade me from using the membrane roofing torched on to the hull followed by bonding the copper to the membrane with heat and nails through to the planks. As soon as I can get some sample materials I'll experiment.
Has anyone seen any detailed pictures of copper sheathed wood hulls?
Old 04-01-2004, 06:50   #11

Thos

No, but I'd like to ... if you find anything please share it. Thanks -

Troubledour

Tags
epoxy