Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2018, 05:21   #16

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Can I "hang" a swim platform off the transom?

Don't know if I'd call it 'hang' rather than 'install'...

Below is an idea that uses your convex transom as an advantage in a folding platforms design.

The idea of having a gap between the transom and the platform looks like an accident waiting to happen; using the gap as a space to make a bracket that supports the platform, provides an axis to hinge upon and fills the gap seems to make sense to me.

The red is stainless, sized appropriately, and is bolted to the transom. The holes for the existing u-bolt could be used, with two additionally per side to mount the bracket securely. Design of the bracket, and its' placement on the transom would have to be arranged intelligently to distribute the forces correctly.

The blue 'arm' would also be SS, say a minimum 1 1/2" x 1/8" square tubing. The arm would extend under the bracket, supporting the platform until the turnbuckled arm (not shown) supporting the outer edge of the platform is attached.

Which brings up this point...the idea of the platform not being rigid when deployed seems a matter of concern to me. In all but the quietest anchorages, there will be a little wave action; in busy ones there will be inconsiderate boaters and wakes. When the dinghy gets under the edge of the unsecured platform, timed inadvertently to coincide with a bag of groceries (or worse) just placed on the platform...you get the idea. Same for buoyancy changes when stepping out of the dinghy.

Because of weight considerations, I'd go with aluminum for the framework of the platform itself.

Without having dimensions, the illustration is not really to scale. I was thinking about 6 inches depth for the bracket and 24" for the platform itself, which would give you 30" total, which seems about the minimum safe size for the dog-loading function you desire...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1pl1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	162764  
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 08:30   #17

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

I bought this platform & dropdown ladder off ebay & thru bolted it to transom with SS bolts,nuts,FWs.

The 2 rungs were already on the boat,but you can buy them also.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyf0rm95pf...Stern.JPG?dl=0
Old 24-01-2018, 08:37   #18

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatds9 View Post
We had a similar swim platform issue after our 40 year old ss swim ladder died.

Here's what we settled on...

Attachment 162726Attachment 162727Attachment 162728

Pretty sturdy. Makes a nice platform from the dinghy too.

West Marine carries these. You can also find them on eBay (search for " teak swim platform").
OP--what you need are brackets similar in purpose to these. "Hanging" a swim step from a couple of padeyes is lame. as wave action will cause it to beat the transom to death.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 09:06   #19

Hi Bass,

From reading the above comments, and given the outward slope of your transom, it seems to me that the platform is going to have to be be a fairly big affair if it is to be useful as you intend. And it will interfere with your swim/boarding ladder.

Since you say that you don't really need a swim platform for swimming, Ann's idea of a midship platform set me thinking...

We used to have a heavy 11-foot rigid GRP dinghy which we kept on deck under the boom. I had a bridle rigged permanently fore/aft in the dinghy with a lifting loop in the middle. We lifted it up with a halyard. Easy-peasy. I used to leave the dinghy at deck level temporarily, outboard of the stanchions, in order to fit the outboard and load stuff on/off it.

Maybe, if your dinghy is suitable, you could do something similar - i.e. hoist dinghy and dog up to deck level (alongside the mast) for it to walk across on to the deck by itself?

G
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 10:14   #20

Boat: Alberg 35

Just a thought, but have you considered something similar to ladder jacks on your existing boarding ladder to make it a more suitable stairway for your dog? It won't necessarily help with transfer of cargo between dinghy and boat, but might be something you could do temporarily without making a permanent modification to your boat while you figure out the details of something better. (Plus it's portable and you can use it on another boat, if desired.)

If you know someone who can weld, perhaps you can join together a pair of jacks such that they fit on your transom ladder to provide for two points of support.

I see two options with this: (a) use a pair of jacks to support a platform to use for staging between dinghy and boat similar to the one shown in an earlier post, or (b) use the jack to support the lower end of a set of "stairs" that have an angle suitable for a dog (and their owner) to ascend and descend.

The jacks I use at home (I haven't tried any of this on my boat, yet) have a clevis pin that prevents them from being knocked up and off of the ladder rungs and I think that would be helpful if slapped by a wave. They also fold up flat and should stow easily in a cockpit locker.

Anyway, just kicking this out not so much as a solution but as an inspiration toward one. Hope it helps.

Interesting discussion so far, though! It's giving me ideas for helping me haul my scuba tank back up toward the deck as I get older and more brittle!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	189531_1_700x700.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	162779  
alley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 11:55   #21

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386

Here are a couple pics of such a mod the P.O. made to our Gulfstar 39 Sailmaster.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F586D774-B458-4C36-91FA-57AB39684FCC.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	162785   Click image for larger version

Name:	33FE4AC6-B63F-4371-8C40-B57568765830.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	162786  

DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 13:45   #22

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

For openers, I do not like the way the stainless loops are attached to the transom. They should be mounted vertically not horizontally. I think the platform as shown looks flimsy and needs to be stronger--but in any case--I would rather see one hung from a pair of substantial dinghy davits by chains clipped on for the purpose and entirely separate from the winding mechanism, the platform hinged or clipped one side to the transom just to stop it swinging around.

There are many ways of doing it--but using dinghy davits gives you the option of hoisting the dinghy when sailing instead of towing it on a short tow. They are also a useful hoist for other heavy items to be brought aboard--instead of having to swing a boom over the side.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 14:24   #23

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386
Can I "hang" a swim platform off the transom?

For strength, there are stainless rods/poles running horizontally under the platform, through the hull, and attached well into the structural part of the boat. I didn’t make it, but loved it. It held my 260# butt confidently.
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 17:39   #24

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Below is an idea that uses your convex transom as an advantage in a folding platforms design.
Thanks for the input. We have been talking about having a platform that folds to avoid some of the issues with following seas / tight spaces etc, but the idea of making the fold work with all the angles on our transom is kind of mind bending... dealing with the angles with a permanent portion of the platform and then just have a straight line fold seems like a great way to overcome that.

Thanks.

-- Bass
Old 24-01-2018, 17:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley View Post
Just a thought, but have you considered something similar to ladder jacks on your existing boarding ladder to make it a more suitable stairway for your dog? It won't necessarily help with transfer of cargo between dinghy and boat, but might be something you could do temporarily without making a permanent modification to your boat while you figure out the details of something better. (Plus it's portable and you can use it on another boat, if desired.)
Have been trying to think of ways to use the existing ladder, was not familiar with ladder jacks before, intriguing idea.

-- Bass
Old 24-01-2018, 17:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle G View Post
We used to have a heavy 11-foot rigid GRP dinghy which we kept on deck under the boom. I had a bridle rigged permanently fore/aft in the dinghy with a lifting loop in the middle. We lifted it up with a halyard. Easy-peasy. I used to leave the dinghy at deck level temporarily, outboard of the stanchions, in order to fit the outboard and load stuff on/off it.
Interesting idea... we already have our dinghy prerigged with harness and use jib halyard to raise and lower it off foredeck for storage. That fouls it up with the lifelines, but maybe it if rig something off the boom I could raise and lower it further back and have it come to rest off the side of the cockpit.

Do we figure most booms with an intact topping lift are up to lifting, say, 550 pounds (max capacity of dinghy plus weight of dinghy)?

-- Bass

-- Bass
Old 24-01-2018, 17:58   #27

Thanks to everyone for their input and ideas on this... this sort of feedback is really the best of the internet!

With a nudge from Ann I am giving more consideration to doing something on the midship side instead of the stern... no decision yet, but that is getting more consideration now for a few reasons:
1) Could board and depart in same location we use when on the dock, which would help the dog with familiarity.
2) No going over (for humans) or under (for dog) the top rail of the stern pulpit
3) Less rocking and rolling, as pointed out.
4) Would allow me to keep the current boarding ladder setup. The current ladder goes two full rungs into the water (not great, but better than a lot), and I like the way I have it now - including slip knot to untie it from the water - as a safety feature... keeping one setup for safety and one for convenience without the two interfering with each other is attractive.
5) I could do a boarding platform on the side that would only be put out when we're on anchor / mooring, and store it on deck rest of the time out of the way (a bit of windage, but gets rid of concerns about following seas etc).
6) Dog would move along the long axis of the platform if it were on the side, meaning she'd be able to help more with this whole process (did I mention she's 100#'s??? )
7) Much more vertical on the side of the boat, so less overhang to have to overcome with a larger platform.

Plenty to ponder...

-- Bass
Old 24-01-2018, 18:28   #28

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Keep it simple, HINGE the platform, that way you can design too the size you desire, AND when underway, fold it up, the unit would be supported by line or cable.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 19:13   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
Keep it simple, HINGE the platform, that way you can design too the size you desire, AND when underway, fold it up, the unit would be supported by line or cable.
Yes, that's what I'd have in mind, fiberglass over plywood, hinge in middle, maybe one hardpoint attachment to cut down on swaying / sliding. A 2' x 6' (that's pretty big) scaffold would still fold down to 2' x 3' x 1.5" package, not bad to strap to rail. Hmmm...

-- Bass
Old 25-01-2018, 10:49   #30

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Yes, that's what I'd have in mind, fiberglass over plywood, hinge in middle, maybe one hardpoint attachment to cut down on swaying / sliding. A 2' x 6' (that's pretty big) scaffold would still fold down to 2' x 3' x 1.5" package, not bad to strap to rail. Hmmm...

-- Bass
Hello Bass, I have a 69 Columbia 28 . A bit different shape transom with a center rear stay. Obviously stern dimensions are somewhat different. However the task we encountered is very similar.
I fabricated this platform while moored in North Cove in Saybrook Connecticut. All work done from the 84 Avon inflatable with aluminum floorboard. The Avon being 11.6ft was not feasible to store on deck, ( believe me I tried, but it obscured view from cockpit when stored on foredeck). So I had to consider that when fabricating, as I needed to tow the dink. I also needed to offset it to be clear of the stay somewhat.
Now a bit on that premise of towing dink off platform in rough seas...
The platform being hinged you might think is ridiculous. However in my case the weight of the dink kept the platform down and kept the dink from getting hammered close up or swamped at length.
I had two large standard poodles and needed , I thought, a poop platform for them. They refused to use it for that and used the foredeck instead! In retrospect, the platform proved to be much more useful as a boarding platform for the dogs and also for us humans, Much more user friendly than boarding from alongside.
The only material purchased were ss fasteners such as transom bolts and ubolts. All the fittings and pipe were dumpster picked in Marina and boatyard dumpster. The wood platform was laminated redwood from a discarded
dishwasher top being used as a very nice cutting board onboard already. The platform was suspended by a salvaged Tanzer lifeline which supports over 300#.
Perhaps all a bit unorthodox, but quite functional.
This was low budget sailing, but we had many compliments on the platform .
I find it difficult putting up photos on site her but if you pm me with your email I could send some good pics as boat is on the hard right now.