Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2009, 23:26   #16

I'm aware of this boat unless there are two of them out there. She is a 90s built steel single chine boat (it may be a multi-chine) of a Bruce Roberts design. She was built in 93+ by Topper Hermanson Builders then sailed extensively then sat for the last several years. She has a lot of interior rust while I've not paid a lot of attn to the exterior nor seen the boat in person but only via online photos.

I'd say she'll need either media blasting (frozen CO2 would be a great choice here) then immediate metal treatment followed by a paint system. It may require a fair amount of prep work before hand.

She needs plumbing and electrical systems put in. i don't know about her mast set or what shape the masts themselves or rigging is in. The rigging is over ten years old and the ship has had a lot of travel so I'd replace it all. I don't remember a lot about the winches etc. I'd need self furling rigs, electric winches, etc.

Then she'll need the entire interior done and it does not appear much of that is still around and none installed.

The engine allegedly needs to be rebuilt and it is underpowered for a boat that displacement anyway. IMO. The shaft appears to be on the marginal small side and I can't say anything about bearings. I don't remember any special couplers although I think there is a Borg 2:1 trans.

Personally, I think I'd prefer an aluminum boat but this one looks like she is very rugged and of course heavy. Obviously I've looked at her. I see her as a near ultimate single handed blue water boat with the ability to build your interior the way you'd like which would be open for me.

For the right price and the right person then I think she could be an ultimate customized boat. I think you'll need another boat in the meantime.
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 01:09   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
To get a decent shipwright to do the interior...$80,000 Time and materials.
Engine rebuild and install...$8,000
Buying a boat ready to go???...Priceless

Run for your life screaming!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 01:14   #18

Boat: Formosa Transworld 41 - Ago Vita
Send a message via Yahoo to offrd2001
Well, I took the advice of the experts out there and continued the search. Although she is ready to sail now, she still needs some things addressed which is fine since I work overseas for another year and have every 3rd month back in the states. Im eyeing an Endeavour 43.....any reviews of this model from anyone? AND.....she is all fitted!! YIPPIE!

Dave
offrd2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:29   #19

Re: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44 refit

Did you get the original plans with the boat?
What paperwork did you get from the build?
The hull of a boat is like the framing & foundation of a house.
During that part everything goes quick and progress is obvious.
Finishing a boat is tedious. It is 75% of the boats cost.
A magazine quality interior costs 60% of a boats total cost.

There are many BR boats built. Most get rushed through the tedium and corners cut.
I think you would have to be very optimistic to get a full interior done by professionals in North America for $200k. It is going to take a year for one person working 50 hour weeks. What would you think a fair/reasonable pay for labour and supplying basic tools for someone that has the broad skill set to complete the interior? I am thinking a minimum of $100k.
You will absolutely NOT get half of this interior build money back.
Another issue is it is a 1996 Registered boat. It will never be any newer, as such, has a limited real value.
The job could be completed In Mexico or other Central America countries for less, potentially. But could cost a lot more if managed from a distance poorly.

The Offshore 44 is a Blue water designed boat that is what it's name implies.
With that name it has a very high freeboard. It displaces a lot of water.
I would ask a Marine Architect to have a serious look at the skeg & hung rudder on your project. There have been issues there.
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:10   #20

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

If you just want to go sailing pick the best yacht that suits your needs and go. But if you look forward to building (or fitting out) a yacht to your likes that's a different matter.

I've been aboard a few yachts that have done a circumnavigation and those yachts were very, very basic. (I wouldn't have enjoyed the experience).

Quite some time ago Laurance LeGuay sailed (with a crew) from Sydney to Darwin, Mauritius then on to Capetown. There they were persuaded to enter the Capetown/Rio race. After spending time in the Caribbean they crossed the Pacific back to Sydney.

But their lighting was a kerosene hurricane lamp, their "stove" was probably a primus kero burner and there were no opening ports. No thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-05-02 equator.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	237637  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 19:55   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
Did you get the original plans with the boat?
What paperwork did you get from the build?
T.

Do you realize this thread is eleven years old?
Old 02-05-2021, 20:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Do you realize this thread is eleven years old?
Yes, But only after I realized I was responding on the bottom of page 1. That was only because my reply obviously disappeared. It was when I found it on the tail end of page 2 I realized the error of my enthusiasm. I will explain the enthusiasm factor later.
After my self flagellation I went to edit my error out. But to my horror and amusement it would not comply. Maybe if I had used some choice explicatives or political commentary the edit would have been successful by design or by default. But that was not to be. I felt a whole lot better after I read your poignant thoughts & experiences on the matter. However, my motivations were not as honourable as yours. That ties into the enthusiasm factor.
I had started a thread on April 7, 2021 titled. Plans for Bruce Roberts Offshore 44 https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-249114.html
When I searched today for my thread Bruce Roberts Offshore 44 plans to see if there had been any success. I found and jumped on this delinquent thread. Hoping I could snag a copy of said plans of an Offshore 44. Oblivious and blind to the date.
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 21:28   #23

I wouldn't look for Offshore 44 Plans on a thread like this. If someone had built an Offshore 44 I can assure the plans would be destroyed by now (mine are).

I'm sure there would be plenty of plans around bought by dreamers (like us) who never went ahead with construction. (I'll do a bit of searching)

Tags
bruce roberts, refit