Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 16:49   #1

Boat: Newport 27
Bottom Job Virgin

Had the boat hauled for this weekend. My first time....

Lots of barnacles. Propeller fouled with same.

Plan on doing the bottom myself (Green Cove Springs Marina).

Q1.
What basic materials do I need to get started: (27 foot boat w/Fin Keel)

Extension Cord
Sander (What Kind) (Something affordable)
Sand Paper (What grit/s and how much of each)
Respirator? (What kind)
Other?

Q2.
The prop was loose and sliding fore to aft. Wobbly. The lift master cleaned out the hub. Nut looked in place. Prop is a two blade aluminum style. What should I be looking for?

Q3.
Found a 8 to 12 inch (crack) on the port side forward portion of the keel hull joint. The lift master stated this looked like common flex of the keel and didn't expect a major problem. (fair it out and paint is what he suggested) Will look more closely as the bottom gets cleaned up. Comments

Thanks in advance for any guidance / suggestions
ThreeQrtrTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 18:10   #2

Re: Bottom Job Virgin

You will need a heavy duty scraper to scrape all barnacles off. Then, you will need a heavy duty 6" random orbital sander with 60gr. paper. Most marinas require a dust collection system for sanding bottom paint. This means that you will need to hook your sander to a shop vac to suck up the dust. Many marinas rent these for a couple bucks. Cover all your skin. Use a chemical respirator. Take your prop off and figure out the problem with that. Did I forget anything? probably. Good luck.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 18:18   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeQrtrTime View Post

Q1.

Extension Cord
Respirator? (What kind)
Other?

Q2.
The prop was loose and sliding fore to aft. Wobbly. The lift master cleaned out the hub. Nut looked in place. Prop is a two blade aluminum style. What should I be looking for?

Q3.
Found a 8 to 12 inch (crack) on the port side forward portion of the keel hull joint. The lift master stated this looked like common flex of the keel and didn't expect a major problem. (fair it out and paint is what he suggested) Will look more closely as the bottom gets cleaned up. Comments

Hi, there, 3/4 Time,

For a start, get some gloves; get a 1-1/2" and a 4" putty knife type scraper (straight blade).

After the bottom is scraped, wet sand it with ~80 grit wet-or-dry, and wash it. It's a lot of work, and hopefully the bottom doesn't need scraping (1-1/2" carbide scraper and many hours careful work). This should give you a nice bottom. Now you need a roller, roller covers, and roller pan; you'll want disposable bristle brushes for cutting in where you need to. Masking tape, good quality (it may be on longer than planned, plus the cheap stuff allows the paint to creep up under the tape onto the topsides).

At this point, you prime it with a primer compatible to the paint you have selected.

We usually carry our stuff in buckets, but we have 'em 'cause we live aboard.
You'll want paper towels, thinner appropriate to your paint, you'll probably want a drill motor to drive the paint stirrer, does a better job than hand mixing with a stick. Best way we have found to mask is to start at the bow and work aft, keeping your eye on the line you're creating. If you just push it on, looking straight at it, you get "wows" in the line.

#2. I don't understand what you meant by "the lift master cleaned out the hub". What hub? aren't the blades attached to it? On one hand, it sounds like a set screw isn't stopping the prop sliding. How is the prop attached to the "hub"? Our hub is a pressed fit on the prop shaft, no set screw, so I'm not sure what yours' screw is supposed to do.
#3. I'm not game to suggest how you deal with the crack at the keel to hull joint. Is it just a few hairline gelcoat cracks? Is it a big gap that has previously been filled with sealant? What is the nature of the keel attachment? Keel bolts loose? After the bottom's clean, and the gap cleaned out, you might ask someone at the yard the best way to proceed and see if that makes sense.

I know this is only a little of what you're needing to know, but it's a beginning, and others will chime in and offer more.

Ann
Old 10-06-2013, 18:25   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeQrtrTime View Post

Q1.

Extension Cord
Respirator? (What kind)
Other?

Q2.

Q3.

You are going to get advice here from people that know nothing about Green Cove Springs Marina. So before you start buying vacuum sanders etc. just ask the folks around you. There is not a bottom problem in the world that has not been seen there. It is pretty safe to say they know what is going on.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 18:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You are going to get advice here from people that know nothing about Green Cove Springs Marina.
What does this have to do with a specific yard? Please explain. Are you suggesting that there is not professional advice to be found on this forum?

The OP has several issues of which barnacles, et al is the least. I would like to see more detail provided by the OP with respect to the "prop sliding" and the crack near the keel. It is likely he as yet is unable to provide that further detail yet it is necessary in order to provide proper response to the OP's questions. Perhaps he should just pay the yard to lay eyes on all his problems. Sure, what a great way to go. The caveat is how much do you trust the yard labor, how capable are you to pay, do you even want to pay since it seems this yard offers the option of DIY, and a few other things.

I have professionally worked along side guys in the trades and I'll admit that I have been oft dismayed. By dint of employment inna yard doesn't imply skill.

Lastly, I reckon the OP just should not ask such questions on the innerwebz. What gall of him!

P.S. The "lift master" suggesting to fair out the crack implies, at least to me, that the crack is cosmetic in nature. After all, he was there, we were not. Yet, on my boat I would not be so cavalier as to accept such advice until I had dug deeper into the apparent problem. I do hereby admit to zero knowledge of this marina and yard. So, there you have it, your prophecy is fulfilled.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 18:55   #6

keep in mind that if you just need the bottom sanded sufficient for a new coat of paint, the yard may do it almost as cheap as you buying all that stuff! OTOH if you need to get it all off and primer before paint, that's alot of work and more cost. ask the yard what they suggest and for a price. Some will minimally sand the bottom as part of your purchase and them applying the paint.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 18:56   #7

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

I hope they pressure washed and scraped the hull when it was freshly hauled. Scrape the rest off and once the surface is prepped using the preferred method in your yard, then you can lather it on. Again, ask what people use in your local waters for paint, and don't skimp on it.

When you get ready to tape a line to keep the bottom paint off your boot stripe or hull, use 1" masking tape ,secure at the bow, then with 10' stretched out off the roll you can pull it nice and straight then touch it to the hull when it is in the right spot. Don't smooth it out until you like where it is. Then keep stretching until the length of the boat is taped. You can then quickly add some 3" tape on top of that to make the tape wider and keep the bottom paint where it is supposed to be. You should be able to do a bottom in a couple of days with good weather. Make sure you don't leave the tape on for any length of time, it is hard to get off. Consider wearing a tyvek suit and using some vinyl gloves too.

Bottom jobs are usually straight forward and satisfying with the instant results. Spend some time on that prop and polish it up nice then add antifouling. Check your cutless bearing too, service seacocks, and definitely check out that crack. Good luck, I like working in the yard every other year.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 19:00   #8

I recently did my own bottom job, and learned that the best way to do a bottom job is with your pocketbook. Honestly.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 19:10   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
What does this have to do with a specific yard? Please explain. Are you suggesting that there is not professional advice to be found on this forum?

The OP has several issues of which barnacles, et al is the least. I would like to see more detail provided by the OP with respect to the "prop sliding" and the crack near the keel. It is likely he as yet is unable to provide that further detail yet it is necessary in order to provide proper response to the OP's questions. Perhaps he should just pay the yard to lay eyes on all his problems. Sure, what a great way to go. The caveat is how much do you trust the yard labor, how capable are you to pay, do you even want to pay since it seems this yard offers the option of DIY, and a few other things.

I have professionally worked along side guys in the trades and I'll admit that I have been oft dismayed. By dint of employment inna yard doesn't imply skill.

Lastly, I reckon the OP just should not ask such questions on the innerwebz. What gall of him!

P.S. The "lift master" suggesting to fair out the crack implies, at least to me, that the crack is cosmetic in nature. After all, he was there, we were not. Yet, on my boat I would not be so cavalier as to accept such advice until I had dug deeper into the apparent problem. I do hereby admit to zero knowledge of this marina and yard. So, there you have it, your prophecy is fulfilled.

The first post I read was "buy a vacuum sander". You don't need them there. You have to tell them not to pressure wash the bottom so you are foolish not to have that done. The OP obviously knows little and the folks in the yard certainly know more than most of us.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 19:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
I recently did my own bottom job, and learned that the best way to do a bottom job is with your pocketbook. Honestly.
The major critique I have of that approach is the owner is not hands-on, therefore misses the opportunity to learn more of his vessel. I understand not all owners would even care to know. I find it fairly priceless to avail every opportunity to learn more. Every annual inspection I had done on the three airplanes I owned were "owner assisted". I welcomed the opportunity to learn under supervision of a skilled professional. Aircraft and boats are the same in that one is exposed to elevated risk if things don't go as planned. Knowledge is power and all that.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 20:08   #11

Boat: Newport 27
1. I mention my location only as a reference to where my boat is as many will be familiar with the facility. I get the impression a lot of boats go through here each year.

2. The people at the facility were very nice and helpful. I do plan on having them look at these issues for advice a possibly to have them do some of the work if its beyond my talents.

3. By the time they got to my boat and got it blocked up, the day was done, so didn't get to look to deeply into the issues with the professionals. They did do a scrape and pressure wash before taking the boat to its block site.

4. I like to pose question here, both for the helpful feedback as there are many knowledgeable sailors here and for the entertainment value of some of the discussions/responses/etc.

Keepem coming....
ThreeQrtrTime is offline   Reply With Quote