Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2005, 06:21   #1

Boat: currently "on the beach"
bedding compounds

i have to rebed a variety of deck hardware. while i usually use a 3m product that requires a sawzall to remove, i am thinking middle ground may be appropriate. what works really well under tracks, cleats and the like to assure waterproofing, but could be lifted if required and can clean up without damage to gelcoat or awlgrip. it occurs to me that if i tape off area around the fittings, excess would be easier to remove. capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:28   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
two possibilities for this:

a substance called Plumbers mate which they use to seal sink waiste fittings and other such tasks.

A substance similar to sikaflex, but easier to use and to clean off, albeit not such a good seal by Wurth of Germany called adhesive sealant
Old 09-09-2005, 10:03   #3

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Sikaflex

Sikaflex 291 is designed just for that. It seals well, adheres well, yet is removeable with some work.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:06   #4

i know / use plumber putty - oil based much like old bedding compound. over time the oil drys out.
i want the adherence since i do not plan to perform task more than once. i will read up on sikaflex - sounds like the right stuff. thanks - capt. lar

Old 09-09-2005, 12:52   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
I would have recommended sikaflex as the best, but you stated that "but could be lifted if required and can clean up without damage to gelcoat or awlgrip" That sort of rules out sikaflex cause its ******* difficult to clean up. However, there are a number of different types of sikaflex, so make sure that you have the correct one, and dont expect to use the tube a week after opening it!

The wurth adhesive sealant does the same job and is easier to spread, easier to clean and can be used from the tube for quite a long time after you start using it, but doesnt ultimately have the same sticky power as sikkaflex
Old 09-09-2005, 16:17   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Other aspects to a good seal...

There are other aspects to obtaining a leakproof seal.
Try to keep as much water as possible away from the sealed area while it is in sevice by means of lips, drains or similar.
Both the attachment and the base need to be very rigid. Even the best sealant may become stiffer or shrink slightly with time. Bolting a rigid fitting to a flexible base (or vice versa) is going to test the sealant.
It is best not to snug the attachement to the base right away. Partially tightening, waiting till the mastic has set and then retightening is desirable.
Other aspects to obtaining a good seal include consideration of the effect of sunlight and presenting a clean dry surface (possibly finely sanded).
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 16:25   #7

we have high moisture readings and one small but hard to pinpoint leak at the deck near shrouds and track so this is basically a "reseat and reseal everything" mission in the hopes of finding the spot. i suspect the track since the "caulking" under the deck coverplates at stays looks perfect. seems to be a silicon - flexible to touch. with the track it will be difficult not to make a mess sealing around each bolt. i thought i would partially lift track by loosening bolts and then bed each bolt head and, after reinserting bolt, set a bead around each bolt at deck, and then pull it all back down tight. i would have more control with a tube applied product and i wonder if my old favorite, silicon, might not be the best choice. problem is the decks look too good to be original, so they must have been redone and i think that means gelcoat (paint). i am concerned that solvent used for clean up will create a new problem. maybe the oil based bedding is a safer choice. capt. lar

Old 12-09-2005, 01:00   #8

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
I agree with Rick, Sikaflex 291 does a great job in sealing.

Fair winds

Steve
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote