Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2006, 11:21   #1

Battry placement

I am getting ready to install 3 battries (2-house bank) I have room in the engine compartment for all three. Electrical work is not my strong point--does anybody forsee any problems with this. All three will be Optima glass mat. Engine is 20 hp deisel
Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 15:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Keeping the cable runs as short as possible will let you size the cables the smallest. Short runs means less problems and easier installation. Measure the lengths and compute the cable sizes closely. It matters!

It's hard to say much else with more details. Charging system should be toally reviewed to make sure you have proper charging. Poor charging will trash those new batteries quickly. Establishing a good ground is also another issue. Techniques for attachment and connections are another are. There really are a lot of ways to screw this job up. We could also back all the way up and start with a discussion of how you have compted your power demand and load requirements. In some ways every installation is different for a lot of reasons.

I would say we have a lot of members that can really help you but of course asking questions will be the first hurdle. You can search gthe fprum for a lot of really good electrical discussions.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 17:03   #3

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
As Paul advises check out the Power Equipment and Electricity forum, scan through all of the history checking out appropriate titles and narrow your search. Much of what you want to know is there already.

The good news about the Optima batteries is that they will tolerate slightly more ambient temperature and charge voltage than even some wet-cell deep-discharge and other AGM batteries will.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 13:52   #4

Thanks for the info Pblais. I guess my main concern was code issues, and would the "heat" of the engine effect the house bank. By moving the batteries to the engine compartment I eliminate approx 3' of run to the main switch, however the biggest gain is the space where the battery boxes were located, I can now use more efficiently. I gained space by converting atomic-4 to diesel with sail drive.( engine compartment)
Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 14:11   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I think the question is how much heat would there be? Just being in the engine compartment isn't really a problem. I'm noit sure what the max temperature you caould expect to be a maximum allowable, but I would think it would not ordinarily be possible unless the engine compartment was REALLY tiny.

There may still be many issues but I'm not hearing anything that indicates the heat alone is a problem. I don't see anything as far as how hot you think the engine compartment is? 200 degreees would be a problem but perhaps more for the engine than anything else.

I can see that 3 less feet of run and better use of space is why you would want to do this.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote