Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 14:33   #16

Boat: Pearson 34-2
Re: Avg Bottom Job Price

Hi, we have a Tartan 27-2. We paid about $1000.00 for the bead blasting, I did three coats of barrier coat, then the yard did the bottom paint, three coats. In the end, it was around $2500.00 for everything. But that is New York prices, and state law mandates the yard do the actual bottom painting here.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 17:39   #17

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

yea - we were heavily oxidized. Also thought the quote was high... which is why we did it ourselves. We were also told that we would have to wax again after 6 months.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 19:05   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Current bids for a haul, clean, light sanding, two coats of Pettit SR or Pro is $1,200 in SFLA. Add $600 for wax
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 19:09   #19

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: avg bottom job price

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That would be even better. I was using a doodle pad on a stick, not a powered one. Maybe doodle pad isn't the right word for it, but it is a pad that holds drywall sanding screen that has a wrist joint on it connected to a stick so that the pad stays normal to any surface it is on.

I did our rec room in our old house with a PC electric drywall sander and that was sweet!

Mark
Ah, sorry, I thought a doodle stick must have been another name for a drywall power sander, but I think I know the sort you mean. I call them a pole sander, which is a name I picked up from the local plasterboard (drywall) guys. One of those US/Oz things.

My only concern with the drywall sander is that is was SO good that I can't figure out why all the pros are not using them (at least around here). I am worried that there is something I am missing since I am pretty sure they know more about the process than me. It was so quick and easy.

I dived on the boat on Sunday to see how the antifouling was holding up after 13 months and it all looked excellent, so it can't be TOO wrong I guess. The propspeed is holding up ok, but not as well as the hull ablative coating.

Matt
Old 05-12-2014, 13:15   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I JUST got a quote on our 47' boat 2 days ago here in Texas:

Haul and block: $329
Scrap/clean hull: $141
Environmental fee: $30
9 days in the yard: $90
Labor for sand/paint: $658

Total: $1248

We bought 6 gallons of paint (Interlux Ultra) from Defender on sale at $166 a gallon.

To polish and wax the hull is another $611.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 19:45   #21

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

ooops I was reminded that the 2K for the waxing included repainting the boot stripe and decorative stripe as well as the buffing. My bad.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 19:59   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I paid $50/foot in St. Petersburg, however by the time the other extras were dealt with it came to a total of $1900 plus tax. I'd go to the same place next time.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:19   #23

Boat: Bristol 31.1

Figured I would just add to this old thread, rather than begin a new one on this common question ...

In January I closed on a Bristol 31.1, my first boat, and she lies on the hard in Maryland. Seeking advice/opinions on a bottom job.

The surveyor noted that the bottom paint was in poor to fair condition and that there were quite a few layers. It looked pretty rough to me. I spoke with the boatyard recently and asked the manager to have a look and give me an estimate for a complete bottom job. They got back to me with this

Bead blasting……..$1153.20

· H2Oline………$558.00

· Barrier/Primer………..$1144.50
o Includes five keel coats and two hull coats of Interlux Interprotect Epoxy Primer

· Hot Unepoxy…………….$324.50
o Pettit Unepoxy applied as final top coat sealant while the last coat of Interprotect is still tacky. Provides a ‘flag coat’ that seals both physically and chemically to the epoxy primer.

· Bottom Paint………………..$324.50 Pettit HydroCoat

Miscellaneous materials………..$100.00
· Total is $3604.00 or $116.26 per foot. (The second coat version is a total of $3929.20 or $126.75 per foot)

It looks reasonable enough to me, but my knowledge and experience in this regard is next to zero. I'm going to consult with the surveyor again about the condition of the bottom and make a decision from there.

So, I guess my only question to the experienced folks is ... does this in fact look reasonable in price? High? Very high? On an older boat (86), is it more likely than not that there will be issues with gelcoat?

This yard seems to have a good reputation for quality work and service, so I'm also taking that into consideration. There are bound to be endless opinions about bottom paint, and I have no desire to poke a hornets' nest; but, is the Pettit Hydrocoat a good choice for an ablative type paint? Interlux Micron a better choice?

In the future, I expect to be doing this and lots of other stuff myself. But, to get started, I'm trying to establish some maintenance baselines. I'm planning to have a full diesel service as well.

My launch date is April 5. I'll be spending the month in Md. doing some shakedown sailing before taking the boat home to the NY area in May.

Thanks.
eastendsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 15:12   #24

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendsailor View Post
Figured I would just add to this old thread, rather than begin a new one on this common question ...

· Barrier/Primer………..$1144.50
o Includes five keel coats and two hull coats of Interlux Interprotect Epoxy Primer
You should have a 7mil. coating which means four to five coats. There is no reason why only two coats would be applied on the hull and five on the keel. That's just weird.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 15:38   #25

Boat: Valiant 40

East End, that looks suspiciously reasonable. If you're having this done in Annapolis, that's a very reasonable quote for the bead blasting, and the other costs look almost like just material costs.

They do have one thing right...last coat of barrier should be the same as the brand of anti-fouling that you're putting on, and hot coated for a chemical bond.

There is another option to bead blasting, which is just scraping. I can be less expensive because the boat does not need to be tented and there is less equipment involved, and the result is a smoother surface.

I agree that you should ask for at least four coats of barrier on the whole hull. You only want to do this once, and now is the time to do it. At least four, six is preferable, although different brands have different viscosities and go on thicker or thinner so it is somewhat material dependent.

PM sent regarding yards and work in Annapolis.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 16:24   #26

Boat: Bristol 27

I've done the bottom on my boat twice.

Each time it was around $400.00 because I used the high priced Micron paint.

It was a very good workout though with the sanding etc but I got to enjoy the boatyard for a while

My bottom jobs last about 3 years with the one coat I apply. I'm hoping to get maybe 4 out of this one.

I'll know after I dive on it this summer
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
price