Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2016, 03:15   #31

Boat: Simonis 50
Re: Autopilot Experts - we need your advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
It is not necessary to replace your whole electronics package. Although you may be tempted when you see what a new one can do .

There is likely also no reason to replace the ram - carry a spare set of seals for it, and learn how to replace them. Hydraulics are incredibly robust and reliable, provided they are treated with a bit of respect.

The pumps can, and do, fail quite a bit more often, So, if I were you, and were not about to re-do all the electronics, I'd get a set of Hydraulic seals, a spare pump, a spare set of brushes and bearings, solenoid, a spare AP computer, controller, rudder sensor and heading sensor. Total cost for this gear for a B&G triton system would be somewhere around $4500 USD. It can interface to your existing gear via NMEA0183 or NMEA2000, whatever is easier for your install.

Of course you can continue to add spares list and still not have something you end up needing. Not really practical to carry a spare boat! This is where lateral thinking and ingenuity can get you home. IMO part of the attraction of the cruising life.

All that being said, I once hand steered for about 1000 NM due to a failed AP computer :-( (well, sheets and bungies, but you still had to watch it all the time)

Send me a PM if you'd like me to do a real quote, rather than an estimate. I ship stuff everywhere.

Cheers
Matt
Thank you. I will certainly make contact with you as there is also the wind generators we need to order from you.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 08:25   #32

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Autopilot Experts - we need your advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
Thank you - I will certainly check if it's perhaps the bearings or brushes.

Regarding your Triton suggestion;
I have spoken to two B&G retailers but suspect that they are trying to make more money out of me than necessary. They are hell bent on selling me a complete B&G system with all the trimmings - radar, chart plotter, instruments and many other items. Which basic essential components/equipment would we need for a secondary autopilot system.
In general, I avoid those retailers who sell to yachties in favour of those who sell to fishermen and commercial work boat operators. The specs are often higher and the gear more robust with the latter than the former. I have a hydraulic "industrial" setup (Marol) and am considering ComNav for the AP for this reason, having heard so many bad stories about the market leader, Raymarine. I have no need for integration, being a fan of sailing to a course rather than to a waypoint, and consequently, I just need connection to my fluxgate compass as opposed to that plus a GPS.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot