Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2017, 08:11   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker
Re: Anyone know what this handle is made to crank?

Seen a lot of those over the past years. Engine hand crank. Don't lose it but know how to use it before you ever need to. I had a 7.5hp volvo in an Albin Vega 27 that I owned and I hand cranked it once just to see. There is a learning curve.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 08:44   #17

Boat: Hunter 37c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I have one that is used to start a Yanmar YSE.

My Yanmar 2GM20 crank only has two dogs.

If you look carefully you might find the four dog version is designed to crank both ways - CW & CCW. My 4 dog one has one pair for CW and the other pair for CCW. I can't quite tell from you photos but it seems to be exactly the same.
I am sure it is an engine crank as well. Click on the photos. If you look at the slip bevels you will see that they are designed for a two pin or cog crank starter. The tool itself is designed to work either in CW or CCW directions. This makes me ask the OP what engine he has, how many engines, is one oriented in a reverse rotation, and is the engine on a "V" drive.
The one for my Yanmar (two dogs) has been handy for priming after removing and changing fuel filters.
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 08:49   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Two of the four cogs have one flat side each and the other two have vee shaped sides.

All four cogs have a vee shape on the same respective side.

It is designed to release when the crankshaft speed exceeds that of the handle.

Yeah, I would have kept it well greased so as not to mangle ones hand, wrist or arm. Or can you imagine this thing being thrown into your face?

In these days of rampant lawsuits everywhere, I doubt any manufacturer still makes these cranks. Anyone know for sure?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 08:50   #19

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtBroker View Post
Seen a lot of those over the past years. Engine hand crank. Don't lose it but know how to use it before you ever need to. I had a 7.5hp volvo in an Albin Vega 27 that I owned and I hand cranked it once just to see. There is a learning curve.
This.... there may be a decompression valve.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 09:13   #20

Boat: Morgan 383, C&C 34, Kirby 25

Engine crank, probably Yanmar. I've got one. Though in many instances it is impossible to use as there is not enough space to turn the handle 360 deg.
Fits on the crankshaft pulley, and is designed to disengage as soon as the engine starts.
wolfesmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 09:22   #21

Boat: Camano 41

My Volvo MD2B had a hand crank like this also. Good point to grease it well, don't want it to stay attached after starting.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 09:23   #22

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Better clean it up and save it one of these days you will find the purpose.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 10:37   #23

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

I believe it is a hand crank.It was very common on many engines in the past. I remember starting engines with a crank on gasoline, then changing over to diesel once they warmed up. I would feel for the compression, then give it half a turn up. I have purchased diesel generators from China lately and they come with one. Several of them have a decompression lever to allow you to get the flywheel turning, then you put the lever down to get it started. I would also agree to have the end well greased. Through the years, I have had some kick back. It can be a problem! Make sure your thumb does not go around the handle. Do you even have room to turn the crank down there? My experience is with farm equipment. You could find yourself in a situation where there is no choice.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 10:59   #24

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don’t think it’s an engine crank, to begin with nothing would hold it engaged. Old Fords that I have hand started had cranks that as you tuned them, they actually got pulled into the crankshaft, when the crankshaft overran the crank handle they were pushed apart.
I’d guess some king of windlass and the crank arm had to be thru bolted to hold it engaged.
What 64 Pilot said. Note also the handle is long enough to get two hands on it. Engine cranks don't usually provide for two hands-on. also, the business end to engage the crank is usually a little longer as it usually is inserted through some form of bracket to support the handle when cranking an engine.
My guess is, it is NOT a starter handle for any engine I know of, but I do not know what kind of winch it might fit either. .
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 11:05   #25

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I agree with a64pilot. I've started engines using a hand crank, and this one is the sort that would lead to a fractured arm if the engine started. Best guess is a drum, windlass, or a winch. It does look like it is designed to operate in both directions, CW and CCW, but not allow for kickback. It also appears to be intended to operate with the handle pointed "up" rather than horizontally, although the hole in the end creates uncertainty about that thought.
Old 15-10-2017, 12:44   #26

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Although your boat is not trailerable, could it be that some PO had one that is and had a winch for the trailer aboard? Few lost thumbs or broken arms for that type (but it has occurred). How about an aircraft engine (I've only seen them cranked on film), although I do not think you'd need to unwind the mechanism?
Old 15-10-2017, 12:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by foojin View Post
Not sure this is the right forum, but I'm prepared to be overruled.

Found this in the bowels of my boat. Crank handle of some sort. Can anyone identify?
Engine crank, and it's made so a backfire won't break your arm.
parawarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 13:25   #28

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 41

This is a link to an eBay listing of a yanmar crank for sale. https://m.ebay.com/itm/YANMAR-diesel...%257Ciid%253A1
Ribman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 13:47   #29

I still think i have used one like that, back the 60s.

Doing a search i came across one that was almost exactly like that.
It was for old Wisconsin Engines.

I did have a Wisconsin on something back in the 60s that had a crank.
The bar is at that angle to clear the air vanes on the flywheel.

That thing sure looks familiar.
Cant be real sure.

Could have been the old John Deere tractor.
I know there was a crank for it. maybe deeper in the throat of it.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 13:49   #30

If the design is for engageing in both directions it is not for an engine, no one want's their arm to be rotated by the engine if the handle does not disengage. The basic design was for a handle with a hardened steel dowell through it. The end of the crankshaft usually had a pulley on it which had a slot cut into it for the dowell,the back face of which would slope backwards effectively disengageing the handle as the crankshaft gathered speed. I have seen a spring incorporated into the system but it was generally regarded as an unnecessary complication and thus not much used.For the youth out there who cannot remember/know of all the gas powered machines before electric starter motors appeared, ie grass mowers,water pumps,concrete mixers etc.and yes as a back up to start motor cars, the handle was the norm in the second half of last century.Foojin, I don't think this has any connection with engines particularly as the handle shaft is angled and the hole in the head suggests a locater pin coming out of whatever it connected to, whereas a starter handle would be the reverse with a pin end going into the crankshaft pulley, and handle bent (quite literally) at right angles.
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote