Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2016, 08:40   #1231
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Re: And So it Begins . . . Knottybuoyz' New Project

Too hot in the shed and had to bail about 11:00 when it was 34C or about 95F. Did manage to get the port side engine bed covered in basalt fabric. That's done now.

Really really like that basalt. Wish I had a lot more of it. It wets out very easily, drapes and conforms to all kinds of odd shapes. And that's a fairly heavy fabric too at 22 oz/sq yd.

Anywho, bit more nonsense on the web log updated today: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/07/tem ... ising.html

For anyone that's having problems seeing the pics here's the link to the Photobucket folder with all the boat pics: http://s237.photobucket.com/user/Knotty ... t=3&page=1

Del. Got a msg back from Anchorlift. They recommend 36" of chainfall. I can put the bottom of the chain locker 38" below the deck. Should be good 'nuff! Thanks.

Time to take the ole' rust bucket for a cruise!

Standby....
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 08:53   #1232

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Yeah, it's getting that first little bit of chain started. Once it starts flowing it seems to carry on. Line rode is worse, better if wet.
Old 23-07-2016, 07:13   #1233

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Good luck KB!

Welcome to the world of fun, frustration and fulfillment
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 11:43   #1234
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Feel the Itch and Sand it Anyways!

Cleaning up some of the detritus from this weeks bulkhead tabbing sessions!

Even hotter in the shed today. 37C at 14:00 hrs when I bailed. Epoxy was kicking off in the cup before I could get it on. Did manage to get the box keel section final tape in place on the engine compartment side.

Standby...
Old 24-07-2016, 15:41   #1235

Hi Rick, must be exciting to get some bulkheads in?

Hey how do you prep the hull before gluing on the bulkheads?
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 16:21   #1236
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
Hi Rick, must be exciting to get some bulkheads in?

Hey how do you prep the hull before gluing on the bulkheads?

Hey Warby

Yeah, starting to come together. Lot stiffer now!

I didn't use peel ply on the hull so I sand it with 60 or 80 grit, whatever's on the RO. I then blow it off with high pressure air or vacuum it off. Then I wipe it down with acetone. Two rags, one with solvent and one dry. If the second one comes up w/o any dust on it I'm good to go, if not I do it again. I do oil my air sander so that's why I use the solvent. Not worried about blush with the epoxy I use. Sanding would remove it if there were any present anyways.

Thanks for looking in. Good question too!

Cheers
Old 25-07-2016, 09:53   #1237
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I managed to get a couple of hours in on the boat this morning. Located Frame B and tabbed it in place.

I'll finish that up tomorrow then work on the rest of the bow & Frame A puzzle.
Old 25-07-2016, 13:52   #1238

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Hey Warby

Yeah, starting to come together. Lot stiffer now!

I didn't use peel ply on the hull so I sand it with 60 or 80 grit, whatever's on the RO. I then blow it off with high pressure air or vacuum it off. Then I wipe it down with acetone. Two rags, one with solvent and one dry. If the second one comes up w/o any dust on it I'm good to go, if not I do it again. I do oil my air sander so that's why I use the solvent. Not worried about blush with the epoxy I use. Sanding would remove it if there were any present anyways.

Thanks for looking in. Good question too!

Cheers
Thanks
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 18:23   #1239

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Looking good!
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 16:14   #1240
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have to remove part of the cradle that the boat is sitting in to fit the skeg. So away I go for some 'under the boat' yoga!

It's nasty under there! Like rolling around in itching powder! So off I go to one of my favorite stores for some cheap packing blankets to lay on. Much better than rolling around in the dirt and kat turds!

This is the section of the cradle I have to cut out to make room to fit up the skeg.

That pretty much summarizes what I put on the latest web log update: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/07/still-at-it.html
Old 30-07-2016, 09:19   #1241
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So today I test fitted the collapsible water tank. I think it'll work. It certainly fills up the void space below the engine.

Once that was done I jumped under the boat to finish cutting away the cradle so I could slide the skeg in and rough fit it into place just to see how things were going to line up. Pretty close.

There's that and a few more musings on today's web log update: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/07/my- ... lanky.html

Thanks for looking in.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:05   #1242
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So after some thought (which is hard when you only have 2 brain cells left) I figured out how to line up the skeg. Using my trusty laser level I set it up on the long axis of the box keel. Using a plumb bob through the hole for the rudder shaft I was able to locate the center of the rudder shaft and the first alignment hole, at the other end of the skeg.

It was so spot on the laser even lit up the plumb bob through the prop shaft hole. Feeling confident I went on to start drilling holes in the bottom of the keel (shudder) and the stainless backing plate and skeg. I laid the 3/16" backing plate on top of the 1/4" thick skeg channel and drilled the holes at the same time. No small feat when all you have cheap tools. I did have titanium bits and plenty of cooling fluid.

Here's the backing plate in the bottom of the box keel. I would have done more but the bolts I have are too short. The bottom of the box keel has to be at least 1-1/2" thick!!!

More tomorrow.

Standby....
Old 01-08-2016, 15:45   #1243

A laser can also be used to dial in the coupler on motors as well, by adhering a mirror to the tranny coupler and directing the laser up the center of the shaft strut and stern tube. When the light goes right back to its source, then it's in line. You do have to rotate the coupler to make sure it's flat. If not, then the light will do a perfect circle around the stern tube. A piece of cardboard with a small hole over the stern tube can pick up the light until the motor is close.
Note: it will never be perfect due to the slop in the tranny bearing, especially a used one. By calculating the triangles one can figure movement distances. But trial-N-error works too, with a little practice.

I'm need to quit giving away trade secrets online.....

The next fun thing is to get the rudder column perpendicular to the waterline.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:43   #1244
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I'm need to quit giving away trade secrets online.....

The next fun thing is to get the rudder column perpendicular to the waterline.
I need you to come for a visit Del! Hmmmm? Let's say two months?

I think I'll be happy with this!

Within 1/10 of 1 deg fore and aft & side to side. Like Del said, next trick will be getting the rudder shaft vertical.

Too hot to work out there today. Besides I gotta go to the bank to fix one of their screwups!

Standby....
Old 04-08-2016, 20:12   #1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
I need you to come for a visit Del! Hmmmm? Let's say two months?
Yeah, I'd kinda like that BUT I'll be bring the Duckling back up from San Diego in another week. I'm starting to miss that smell of hot epoxy kicking too soon. Don't miss the glass fibers between the fingers though.

Tags
boat building, bow shed, construction, fairing, Flexicat, home built, paracelle, stitch & glue, trawler