Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2012, 13:07   #481

Boat: Irwin sloop
Re: And So it Begins . . . Knottybuoyz' New Project

With the batteries located at the lowest point inside the boat a fuel or water leak combined with a bilge pump failure could make life exiting. Murphy's law applies here.
It's very tempting to place the very heavy batteries in the keel but I cant recall ever seeing a boat with that configuration. The subject might generate an interesting thread itself.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 15:15   #482
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
With the batteries located at the lowest point inside the boat a fuel or water leak combined with a bilge pump failure could make life exiting. Murphy's law applies here.
It's very tempting to place the very heavy batteries in the keel but I cant recall ever seeing a boat with that configuration. The subject might generate an interesting thread itself.
I have seen batts stacked up in the keel of some large sailboats.

Had a chat with a NavArc at work last week and we discussed it. He doesn't seem to think that moving the batts back up into the engine room space will adversely affect stability too much. I'll post a new sketch tomorrow.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 03:38   #483

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I worked on preparing Whitehawk, 105 ft Bruce King ketch, for towing back to US, after a fire on board.
Batteries the size of small fridges in the bilges.
Old 23-08-2012, 16:43   #484
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is the "mimic panel" I designed with Front Panel Express. They give you the software to do the design and submit it to them and they cut it for you. This is the second panel I've had them do for the new boat! Not a big project but still pretty cool!

Old 26-08-2012, 10:07   #485
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When it's too hot in the kitchen get the hell out! How hot was it in the boat shed today? This hot!

That's about $10 worth of epoxy that kicked off within 6 minutes at about 95 degs F! Grrrrrr!

This stuff gets hot lemme tell ya! I had to rip the glove off and toss the tray outside. It was smokin'!

I started out in the shed this morning about 8:30. It was already about 80 degs F in there but with the fans going full blast it was tolerable. I wanted to get the final layers of tape on the keel.

Working alone doing this type of job sucks. I had to resort to a lil' 3M Super 77 to keep the tape from blowing around and ending up in the dirt. I know it's not ideal but it's what I had to do.

Once I got the tape all laid out it was onto the epoxy. I knew I had to work quickly and resorted to the roller instead of the chip brush. Both are messy but the roller a little bit less so. I made it from the bow back a little farther than the tape in the lower section of the pic above. That's when I ran into problems with the epoxy kicking off too quickly. I had two paint trays in rotation because a little uncured epoxy will hasten the curing process. I'd leave one to drip out while using the other. I think I'll need to pick up a couple more trays! *sigh*

Oh well, get an early start on it again tomorrow and see if I can get the rest of the taping done. Then it's onto some really big fiberglass!

On another side note we took our lil' dinky for her maiden voyage yesterday! Was a lil' worried the Jeep couldn't pull this monstrosity!

Here we are underway. The Admiral scanning for hazards! Look the other way dear!

Minn Kota 55lb thrust trolling motor pushed us along at a blistering 3.85 kts at full power. At half power we were doing 2.2-2.5 kts. Time to renew my fishing license methinks!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:39   #486
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This morning I've been thinking..... This is when Lori always says: "Uh oh!"

Well I'm always thinking. I'm the idea guy! Straddling the line between genius and insanity I say!

I'm half thinking about revisiting the infusion process for some of this boat hull project. Gotta put some more thought into that. I'll eliminate a lot of issues but also adds some expense and a great potential for disaster! No risk, no reward, correct?

Anywho, this morning I tried filling the little voids left in the tape with straight epoxy. It immediately ran straight out. I think that was my problem. The epoxy just ran out leaving dry tape behind. The peelply should have helped mitigate this actually. So I decided to mix up a batch of "baby puke" (cause that's exactly what it looks like) which is epoxy thickened with micro baloons. It really does look like the stuff Daniel used to spit up all the time!

This did a better job and will require just a light sanding before the next layers go over top. There are a few larger voids that'll have to be ground out and repaired.

The tape would just not lay down on some sections. I'm suspecting I got a bad roll of tape. Either got wet or contaminated somehow. Anyhow, no biggie, I ordered another roll from Noah's so we're all set now.

The keel seams are all taped now. Just a few small parts on the very back of the keel to add some extra material for piece of mind.

Once this is all setup it's back to the sander to prep the hull for fiberglass! Thank gawd it's been a long haul with a bum knee and the heat. I'm really looking forward to getting the outside done and this thing flipped!

Time to go put my thinkin' cap on and maybe a power nappy!
Old 02-09-2012, 15:56   #487
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some have asked and I like to have this around to remind me of what this thing will look like when finished (I hope)!

Old 02-09-2012, 15:57   #488

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Is that the stretched one Rick?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 16:40   #489
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
Is that the stretched one Rick?
Yup, photoshop of one built in Turkey a few years ago.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:36   #490
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't remember building in a skylight!

Winds were gusting to 65 km/h this morning and ripped this section of the shrink wrap off the roof!

In hind sight I wish I had used something different to cover the shed. This will definitely be a PITA to fix. Gotta wait till the weather lets up though.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:12   #491
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What does a 90 lb roll of fiberglass look like hovering in the air?

Just like this!

Seams are all sanded. Just need to wipe them down then will likely get glassing sometime this week. Just waiting for my buddy to arrive so we can fix the shed roof. Standby.
Old 20-09-2012, 02:11   #492
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Swallowing the anchor. After 32 yrs in the Coast Guard this is my last day! The second happiest day of a sailor's life, walking down the gangway for the last time. It's been an adventure. Now it's time for the real fun to begin!
Old 20-09-2012, 03:01   #493
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Congratulations, Rick!!!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 03:20   #494

Congratulations!
I have just a few more months until I retire from the Navy, has to a great feeling looking ahead to the future.
Jaxxiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 08:50   #495

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Congratulations Rick.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat building, bow shed, construction, fairing, Flexicat, home built, paracelle, stitch & glue, trawler