Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 14:26   #871
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Re: And So it Begins . . . Knottybuoyz' New Project

Thanks for looking in Alex. I've been silently following your project making copious notes!

I was trying to figure out how I could install an escalator once this whale gets flipped! I need the exercise though.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 14:49   #872
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Thanks for looking in Alex. I've been silently following your project making copious notes!

I was trying to figure out how I could install an escalator once this whale gets flipped! I need the exercise though.
thanks for looking in on the build,started on the 2 aft cabins now,must post some photos soon ,but the camera all ways seems to be out of batteries lately

one thing i find annoying and a great time waster is the effort of moving from one hull to another,just to get a pencil or a clamp,and that is only 3ft up,10ft across ,then 3ft down,then 3ft up,then 10ft across,3ft down......get the idea... and that is just inside the boat

having a platform at gunnel level will save LOADS of PT
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 15:36   #873
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thanks for looking in on the build,started on the 2 aft cabins now,must post some photos soon ,but the camera all ways seems to be out of batteries lately
Clean the contacts. Use a pencil (if you can find one ) eraser. Works wonders 'specially when there's sanding dust etc. around.

Quote:
one thing i find annoying and a great time waster is the effort of moving from one hull to another,just to get a pencil or a clamp,and that is only 3ft up,10ft across ,then 3ft down,then 3ft up,then 10ft across,3ft down......get the idea... and that is just inside the boat
I just bought a bulk box of pencils and scattered them all over the shed!

Quote:
having a platform at gunnel level will save LOADS of PT
I'll have room to build steps and a landing, probably at the transom. At least I'll be able to move my epoxy mixing stuff inside the boat to save some steps.
Old 01-08-2014, 15:54   #874
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"I'll have room to build steps and a landing, probably at the transom. At least I'll be able to move my epoxy mixing stuff inside the boat to save some steps."

it will save heaps of effort building a landing,also be sure to cover with plastic sheeting any areas that might get drips from your epoxy mixing area.
cheers alex
Old 02-08-2014, 10:43   #875
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pretty in Primer!

Still have one more gallon to put on tomorrow. That'll give me two full coats on the hull. I'll be out of primer so that's gonna have to do for now. Took me about 3-1/2 hours and I don't know how many climbs up the step ladder! Oh I need a hot shower & a siesta!

More pics & details on the blog site: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/pret ... rimer.html
Old 02-08-2014, 10:47   #876
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

very nice,don'tcha love it when a plan comes together!
Old 02-08-2014, 17:56   #877

Boat: Farrier F-44

Looking good. Where you able to roll it on smooth? I might switch if I can't get the 646 to go on smooth.

Kurt

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
trashpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:41   #878
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Well done, Rick!

Major milestone!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:59   #879
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the kind words fella's. It helps a lot. Just one more baby step in the whole process! ;-) Plenty more to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashpad View Post
Looking good. Where you able to roll it on smooth? I might switch if I can't get the 646 to go on smooth.
Hi Kurt

It turned out pretty rough in some spots where I used the 3/8" nappy roller. Trick is to not let the roller get too dry to the point where it's dragging the primer along. I think thinning it some would have helped. Where I sprayed and used the foam roller it worked fine.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:37   #880
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can't win 'em all as they say. I lost today's round. It started out warm in the shed and got hotter, quickly. I was hoping to get the keel & bottom covered then let it tack so I could hot roll on the anti-foul as per mfgr's recommendation. Couldn't do it. The heat and the amount of real estate I had to cover beat me. I was pushing too hard to try to get it done and ended up making a mess while the primer kicked off in the paint tray. So now I've consigned my self to having to sand the keel & bottom one more time. Small price to pay I think to be able to work at a more comfortable pace. The sides have two coats of primer and the transom has three. That's all they'll get unless they need more at final fairing before shiny paint goes on.

I know it's hard to tell from the pics but it turned out pretty good. I'm happy with it.

So tomorrow's task is to get the second coat of primer on the bottom panels. That'll sit for a day or two then I'll sand them to key the surface for the anti-foul. I have to mark the water line and mask off the sides before that stuff goes on.

There's a few more details & pics on the web log if you're interested. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/i-lo ... round.html

Standby...
Old 03-08-2014, 15:50   #881

Great progress there Rick. Anitfouling, that sounds good. Flip it over, cover over the top, anchor off the bow and you're done
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 16:15   #882
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
Great progress there Rick. Anitfouling, that sounds good. Flip it over, cover over the top, anchor off the bow and you're done
Nope. Afraid not Warby. The Admiral insists on having a clothes washer onboard!
Old 03-08-2014, 16:28   #883

Happy wife, happy life
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:09   #884
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just a lil' bit more

That's it. Hull is primed. Two coats on absolutely everything plus an extra coat on the transom and bow. I'm done with primer. Terribly messy stuff to work with. I was sort of hoping the paint sprayer would eliminate a lot of the work but that didn't work out as planned. :-( Oh well, it is what it is. I figure it took me 20 hrs to get both coats on over 4 days. This morning's session was only a couple of hours. I used up all the paint. Four gallons in total.

Rest of today I'm going to organize my hardware etc. for the Gin Pole. Have to move some stuff around and start digging the hole for the pole. Might even start rigging the pole. Dunno yet. My hands are killing me again. Maybe it is time to get sanding again! ;-)

Taking tomorrow off to let the primer firm up then I'll lightly sand the keel & bottom panels for anti-fouling. Hopefully that'll go a lot quicker.

Standby.
Old 05-08-2014, 17:30   #885
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Took the day off from boat building. Went and saw some old friends. Just like in the song it's good for the soul.

Anyhow, having a day off leaves lotsa time to think. I was reflecting on all the work that went into prepping the outside of the hull, most of which was due to my own inexperience and I've reconsidered doing a vacuum resin infusion of the inside of the hull. I put together a rough estimate of the costs of materials to do that and the rationale behind the decision in my latest blog update:

M/V She:Kon: See some old friends

I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to do it this way. I just have to gather all the ingredients to make it happen. The downside is it won't happen till next spring but that's ok.

Tags
boat building, bow shed, construction, fairing, Flexicat, home built, paracelle, stitch & glue, trawler