Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2011, 17:56   #1

Boat: Grampian 26
all gripping deck

I am looking to repair the deck of my newly aquired boat that I finally picked up last week. The deck has some marks and a few places that need some glass work. It has those diamond anti slip on it and some of the repair will be in those sections, should I just sand it all off and repair the deck, then allgrip the deck with white and then add a second coat to the sections where the no slip was and put down the noslip additive from allgrip and paint that section.

Also the previous owner does not remember what they had for bottom coat, so I assume the best would be to sand it off and then repaint with VC17 and start fresh.
thanks
Bill
knottygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 18:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: all gripping deck

Repairing non-skid is a pain. If doing a small section I will make a silicone cast of the diamond pattern and remold the gelcoat. If its much bigger than a silver dollar (yup, I'm THAT old) that doesn't work so well as it is real hard to get the air out of the repair.

Awl-Grip is an excellent paint for traffic areas when non-skid is applied (use US Paint's proprietary anti skid with Awl-Grip for best results).

Down here in Fla, VC-17 is about useless as a bottom paint, so I can't offer an opinion on that one for you... but if you are planning on heading into warm water, get something a wee bit stronger!
Old 21-03-2011, 22:03   #3

well its bigger then a silver dollar, and I am in lake Ontario, so its fresh water only.
Old 21-03-2011, 22:55   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you have a newly acquired boat, and time, then do it properly. Strip it right back, adn see what's under there. Then you can start again. Then you will know you have a good deck to last you years - rather than having to patch up every season. Well, at least you won't have to do so many patches...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 23:12   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
If you have a newly acquired boat, and time, then do it properly. Strip it right back, adn see what's under there. Then you can start again. Then you will know you have a good deck to last you years - rather than having to patch up every season. Well, at least you won't have to do so many patches...
Agree 100%
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 23:40   #6

I'll get some pictures of it tommorrow, there is three sections that need some work, but im not sure redoing the entire deck warrants the sections.
after the pics let me know what yall think

Tags
deck