Fall of 2013 I re powered our Cal
39, which had a Perkins 4-108/ Borg Warner engine package. I installed a 55h.p. Volvo
package. Since the repower
I have put 470 hours on it without doing anything except the 50 hour oil change
The D2-55 engine is based on the Perkins 404 series industrial engine, which is found in thousands of industrial applications, as well as the Caterpillar and Northern Lights
20 kW marine
gensets. The base engine is produced by Perkins in the UK, Japan
and the U.S.
The reasons I like the engine are:
- very quiet running, more so than the Yanmar and Beta
- Low RPM
.....3000 max and cruises strongly at 1800-1900
- 115 amp alternator
is standard, along with serpentine belt and mechanical belt adjuster ( no more levering on the alternator)
- high capacity oil sump with 500 hour oil change
and internal parts
availability from multiple sources
- easily remoted oil and fuel filter
for easy maintenance
- mechanical governor....no electronic controls
- deep oil sump allows operation at 30 degrees heel to Port and Stb.
So far I'm happy with it.