Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 12:17   #31

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 shoots oil out dipstick hole

Richard has a good point. On a 2gm, there is a 1/2" black hose from the top of the rocker cover to the intake. Disconnect that hose and make sure it is clear and the intake fitting passes air when you blow through it.

If this hose is clear, there is no way that pressure will build up and blow off the dipstick no matter how much fuel is or isn't getting in the crankcase.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 13:06   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter 36-80-82 Wanderer
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 shoots oil out dipstick hole

Hi Richard,my 2QM20 has a crankcase ventilation door above the injector pump which has 6 bolts in it to take it off.When I took it off it looked like someone took a handful of dirty vaseline and squeezed it in as much as they could and the breather hose was plugged up more than 1/2 way because i didn`t hook it back up on my last cleaning and maintenace .I know what caused it so quickly,I still had fuel in my tank fron down south from last year which doesn`t have peredine as an additive to keep diesel from turning to wax in cold weather,called arctic diesel or winter diesel.The way you are talking about the 2GM20 sounds like it has something similar to a P.V.C. valve which will do the same thing in a car when plugged.The crankcase pressure has to go somewhere and the easiest place to go is out the dipstick which sits at the bottom of your oilpan.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, yanmar