Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 06:53   #31

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 oil exploding from dipstick hole

SB1,

Don't forget the easiest one. Especially if you have two engines. Swap the dipsticks. There seems to be an issue with some Yanmar dipsticks. Mine look fine, and even felt snug when I put it in but had the same symptoms you mention.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:50   #32

A broken drill bit can often be removed by breaking it up with a punch.

2mm is pretty small to start with (ain't no eazy out that small going to work anyway) so you may have some troubles unfortunately.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 17:53   #33
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
....... Instead, I removed the mixing elbow, in the process breaking the head off one of the nuts. So I used a 2 mm drill bit to make a hole with which to use an "easy-out" to get the bolt shaft from the engine casing. Of, course, the drill bit snapped in its own hole. ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If there is any of the bolt sticking out you can sometimes get a vise grip on it, heat and PB Blaster and let it soak help.
I have also used a Dremel to cut a screwdriver slot in a broken off flush bolt too. Use an impact screwdriver, the kind you hit with a hammer, that knocks it hard into the slot so it doesn't strip and the percussion seems to help loosen the stuck stud.
I do not use easy outs anymore since discovering many years ago that when you break one of them off, you cannot drill it out, an easy out is as hard or harder than a drill bit.
Worst case, remove exhaust manifold and take to a machine shop.
SB1, I feel your pain .

All good ideas from a64 but unfortunately for the SB1, the broken stud is in the engine block so taking it to a machine shop will mean removing the engine - ouch.

Let's hope that the stud can be removed in situ.

FWIW, there might be a mobile stud removal guy in Cairns; if so call him!

The local guy down here does a roaring trade and from what I'm told, he has never been beaten - yet.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:21   #34

It probably wouldn't cost that much to overhaul a 2GM20. It could be worse - it could be a Volvo!
Kahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:49   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
SB1, I feel your pain [emoji2].

All good ideas from a64 but unfortunately for the SB1, the broken stud is in the engine block so taking it to a machine shop will mean removing the engine - ouch.

The local guy down here does a roaring trade and from what I'm told, he has never been beaten - yet.
Welder can put a tang on the stud top. The heat from the arc welding usually breaks em lose.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 22:34   #36

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSon View Post
Welder can put a tang on the stud top. The heat from the arc welding usually breaks em lose.
I will second that suggestion. Used to do it all the time back when I worked in a shop. I would use a little Blaster or WD-40 first. Let it sit overnight, then hit it lightly with a torch and a wire brush to clean up the surface before I welded it.
Old 08-05-2017, 17:53   #37
sb1

Boat: Simpson Inspiration 10.5m

Thanks - you made me feel almost normal!
sb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 18:37   #38
sb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
SB1, I feel your pain .

Thanks for that. It's actually in the cylinder head so not quite so bad. I'll remove that as per

Cheers

sb1
Old 12-05-2017, 18:50   #39

Another old Yanmar engine question

Hi all. Whilst on the subject of old Yanmars.
We have a beautiful old Yanmar 2QM20 in our sailing boat. It's done 2400 hours, never missed a beat & never let us down. The oil pressure shows rock steady on start up & after a period of about 10 minutes running drops back just a bit and then holds steady again. But after about 30 minutes regardless of the sea state the oil pressure gauge starts fluctuating wildly all over the place & then it settles again and holds as per normal pressure. It will repeat this time and again. The engine revs never change nor does boat speed or rythmn of the engine. I change the oil and oil filter religiously every 100 hours, fuel filter the same & anodes and impellar every 200 hours. Not sure whats causing this? Any suggestions? Thanks Col
colin evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 19:02   #40
sb1

Re: Another old Yanmar engine question

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin evans View Post
Hi all. Whilst on the subject of old Yanmars... It's done 2400 hours
Oh dear. Mine are on 2500 (I think, because one of the hour meters is stuffed, so I'm going off the other one). Never mind, I love them despite how they abuse me. Sorry this doesn't help with your issue - hopefully someone has a solution!
Old 12-05-2017, 19:03   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Thanks for that. It's actually in the cylinder head so not quite so bad. I'll remove that as per

Cheers

sb1
Yes, of course, my bad.

I guess I was trying to explain that isn't wasn't as simple as taking the exhaust manifold into a machine shop. Now you get to take the head in...

Hope it works out for you.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 12-05-2017, 19:11   #42

Quote:
We have a beautiful old Yanmar 2QM20 in our sailing boat. It's done 2400 hours, never missed a beat & never let us down. The oil pressure shows rock steady on start up & after a period of about 10 minutes running drops back just a bit and then holds steady again. But after about 30 minutes regardless of the sea state the oil pressure gauge starts fluctuating wildly all over the place & then it settles again and holds as per normal pressure. It will repeat this time and again. The engine revs never change nor does boat speed or rythmn of the engine. I change the oil and oil filter religiously every 100 hours, fuel filter the same & anodes and impellar every 200 hours. Not sure whats causing this? Any suggestions? Thanks Col
Given the details you posted, I would suspect it is gauge problem.

Is it a mechanical or electrical gauge?

If electrical, maybe a crook sensor or wiring (dodgy connector) or the gauge itself. Old wiring is famous for intermittent faults .

You gotta start somewhere so perhaps run a new wire (temporary) straight from the gauge to the sensor. You could start measuring voltages etc but if electrical theory isn't your thing, substitution with known good items is way easier.
Old 13-05-2017, 02:58   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Yanmar 2GM20 oil exploding from dipstick hole

You know if I was to pull the head, I would have the valves done and new seals fitted, that ought to buy you at least another 20 years until the seals dry out and need replacing.
When your have the head off inspecting the cylinder bores can give you a very good idea where you are in terms of how long before an overhaul will need the be thought about
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 07:32   #44

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know if I was to pull the head, I would have the valves done and new seals fitted, that ought to buy you at least another 20 years until the seals dry out and need replacing.
When your have the head off inspecting the cylinder bores can give you a very good idea where you are in terms of how long before an overhaul will need the be thought about
This is very good advice. I would strongly urge to to take it. It goes without saying that you should include an oil analysis too.
Old 14-05-2017, 04:30   #45

Quote:

same engine and same thing happening, looks like the oil pressure regulator (naturally an obsolete part as I have tried to get one !!!) the 3QM though slightly different valve design fits and has the same pressure setting however...yep that's obsolete as well, have been thinking of trying a 2GM one but they have 10psi more pressure, to check it, unwind the oil filter and then the big nut (32mm from memory) that is on the shaft that the filter threads on , with that lose the threaded part screws out and that's your oil pressure regulator, do you have a manual for this engine ?
sfnz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, oil, yanmar