Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2011, 01:52   #1

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411
Who Has a ZF BW7 Transmission ?

Our new-to-us Beneteau 411 came with a Westerbeke 44A FOUR engine and ZF BW7 transmission. We would like to know what gear others leave the transmission in while sailing. There seems to be a conflict between what the manual says and virtually all dealers and transmission shops
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 01:02   #2

Re: Who Has a ZF BW7 Transmission ?

We've concluded our communications with Westerbeke since (apparently) nothing further is to be learned. They insist the gear should be left in Forward or Neutral. They also recommend we consult our local Westerbeke dealer who has confirmed it should be left in Reverse. The master distributor says it can be left in Forward or Reverse without damage whereas Westerbeke says the clutch will be damaged if left in Reverse. I don't recall every receiving so much contradictory information from so-called official sources.
Pete
Old 16-10-2011, 04:39   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Interesting that there is not a BW7 model in any of the Hurth/ZF cross-over charts. Not that I can find anyway.
My HBW150 Hurth, which is now the ZF 10 apparently, will allow the shaft to rotate, under sail, if locked in forward.
The shaft will not rotate if locked in reverse.
Your transmission may have different drive-line internals.
Old 18-10-2011, 13:46   #4

This topic has taken on a life of its own over at:
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/sh ... post858894

Still no agreement as to what gear to lock shaft in while sailing, but evidence is mounting in favor of Reverse from local Westerbeke dealer, my favorite marine transmission shop, and the manufacturer, ZF.
Pete
Old 18-10-2011, 17:58   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
This topic has taken on a life of its own over at:
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/sh ... post858894

Still no agreement as to what gear to lock shaft in while sailing, but evidence is mounting in favor of Reverse from local Westerbeke dealer, my favorite marine transmission shop, and the manufacturer, ZF.
Pete

Yep.

I have read numerous threads in many forums and there never seems to be a final answer in most cases.

Seems that there are many different motors and transmissions and props out there. Add that to personal experiences and those of a friend of a friend and the result is what you got.

But I have never heard someone with so many references from those directly involved that are so conflicting.

I'm just shakin' my head.

Good luck.
Old 19-10-2011, 03:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Yep.

I have read numerous threads in many forums and there never seems to be a final answer in most cases.

Seems that there are many different motors and transmissions and props out there. Add that to personal experiences and those of a friend of a friend and the result is what you got.

But I have never heard someone with so many references from those directly involved that are so conflicting.

I'm just shakin' my head.

Good luck.
Yup, it's tough to know who's right. On the one hand the factory and man who disassembled and diagnosed the failure should be in the best position to provide accurate information, but on the other hand how does one explain away the manual that references our transmission and even includes an accurate picture of our transmission? I wonder how best to resolve the conflict?
Pete

Tags
transmission