Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 13:56   #1

Boat: Mapleleaf Sailing Cruiser 23ft
Volvo Penta MD21 Peugeot Indenor Ford

Am transferring VP marine bits on to a pair of 'Ford' XD2/3. Manifolds fit but cannot see how raw water pipe from Jabsco to manifold seals ? It is a length of copper pipe with a top hat lip and a ferrule of white nylon but I see no means of locking it in place ? Anyone else done this ? Alo concerned as flywheel is bigger and may not fit 270 outdrive leg bell housing. Can they be swopped ?
jimthesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 23:46   #2

Re: Volvo Penta MD21 Peugeot Indenor Ford

and the Marine Parts Europe diagram shows the bits as sealing ring (44) and front cover (45). They appear to just push in, can this be right ?
(The tube actually comes off the Jabsco by way of the cooler 'stack'.)
Old 05-06-2015, 06:53   #3

Don't recall for sure, but I think there was a small plate bolted to the thermostat cover, and the plate had a clamp arrangement that supported the water tube from the HE to the manifold end cover.

Changing the flywheel could be tricky......different balance factor, different gear mesh on the starter teeth, etc.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:55   #4

Thanks for that. I would have expected a fork arrangement at least to apply pressure. However after my second glass of red Merlot I think the penny has dropped ! It is only sealing against Jabsco raw water pressure, I was assuming engine block cooling pressure so it doesn't have to be too sophisticated ? Take your point ref flywheel as an increase in scapacity is likely to increase p.c.d. and bolt sizes but assume they are balanced as an item ?
Old 05-06-2015, 09:56   #5

I think the way the flywheel is balanced depends on the engine.....for example,
I just checked a flywheel I have in the garage. It is an Indenor flywheel from an XDP 4-88 (Volvo Penta MD19) engine, and it is symetrical in all respects. Symetrical bolt holes, no change in mass anywhere on the flywheel, etc. and it's obvious the flywheel can be fitted in any position on the crankshaft.

I also checked a flywheel from a GM 350 cu.in. engine. No symmetry in the flywheel at all. The mounting holes are not symetrical, so the flywheel can only be fitted in one position on the crankshaft. Plus the location of the mass within the flywheel is offset to one side and not symetrical. In this engine the flywheel plays an important part in the overall balance of the engine and couldn't be readily changed to another engine.

This is something that will have to be considered when swapping the flywheels on your engines.

DougR
Old 06-06-2015, 00:36   #6

Thanks again. Suspect flywheel will be larger but symetrical, still extricating original engines and outdrive legs so not able to compare. in worst case will have to dispense with bell housing and fabricate rear mounting legs as in other Project 31s with Perkins 4/108s, bracing outdrives seperately if necessary. Then only need to mount Jabsco. Neat arrangement on Youtube where he drives off block waterpump pulley facing aft. At least you can get at it easily !
Old 06-06-2015, 04:02   #7

Good luck on the project!
Old 06-06-2015, 19:22   #8

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Hi all.

It's not just the balance of the fly wheel statically. the diameter and weight of the flywheel is designed to an engine for the centrifugal force to carry the crank shaft through the intake and compression strokes. putting a smaller one on would seller the engines power. if the bell housing isn't made for that engine get one that is and reconfigure the mounts.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 11:18   #9

Story so far ! I cannot believe the date I started this project !
The engines are in and connected by means of an extended drive shaft lengthened by 2" and 1" spacers between bell housing and engine block to give clearance to the XD2 flywheels which are larger and have different fixings. All the marinisation bits bolted on but needed to add a pair of Jabsco's as I lost the raw water pumps driven off the fuel injection pumps. Also needed a pair of electric fuel pumps.
Big probs. with exhaust as the original down pipe to the transom bracket ends up in the wrong place and despite cunning jigs and much measuring it also would foul the bell housing. Admitted defeat; made inner and outer blanking plates to block off the underwater exhaust and will stick it out the stern above water level with a 'wet muffler'.
Boat in water last w/e and finished wiring up today. All electrics work and it all looks quite neat although I say so myself.
Was it worth it - Nope ! Should have gone the first route of four mounting legs and short Carden shaft. Also have little faith in something submerged permanently in salt water made from aluminium !
Suspect I have wrong props as they are 15 x 11 anyone know the correct originals please?

Tags
penta, volvo