Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 15:17   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
Volvo D2-40 heat exchanger

I am planning to open the heat exchanger to check for general condition, blockage etc.

However, it takes 4 o-rings which i would like to replace Volvo sells for about $20 each. Can they be replaced with standard o-rings?

Any other suggestions what I should do while at it?
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 15:23   #2

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Volvo D2-40 heat exchanger

Of course, provided you can get the right size. An O ring is an O ring. Nothing special about the "Volvo" ones - which they don't make anyway!
Old 20-04-2015, 20:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Of course, provided you can get the right size. An O ring is an O ring. Nothing special about the "Volvo" ones - which they don't make anyway!
The guy at the local service and parts shop said the Volvo ones use a different material to prevent corrosion. I suspected that may be just bluffing or a misinformed "expert".
Old 20-04-2015, 20:44   #4

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Hmm, considering the O rings are rubber, I don't think corrosion is an issue. They are also in the dark, no no UV, and very slow degrading. IMO he is misleading you. I would not use anyone who is not completely up front.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-04-2015, 11:22   #5

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

I was also considering doing this task this year as it's been 4 years since we got the boat and the water around Croatia is pretty heavy with carbonate due to all the limestone.

Unless it is nitrile, which is generally used for corrosive fluids or high heat environments, any "O" ring should be suitable provided it is the right size and diameter. Volvo, like most manufacturers, are notorious for over pricing their parts then insisting you use them. Take the air filter for a start, there's no way you should have to change the whole assembly just to swap a paper element. So I got in touch with K&N and bought a washable, performance filter for less than the Volvo one which should last a lifetime.

Be interesting to hear from anyone else with a Volvo D series engine to find out what they did.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 14:08   #6

I guess the heat exchanger does not quality for extreme heat or dangerous chemicals. Temperature is not much above 100C and the media are fresh and salt water.

I will take my calculated chances then. I hate to support highway robbers.
Old 21-04-2015, 17:27   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Actual rubber o-rings would be very corrosive to aluminum as they have a lot of free carbon in them. However, few actual "rubber" o-rings are used anymore - most common ones are either nitrile or butyl composition.

You will be fine with either - no need for Volvo prices for the same thing. I guess if you are generous, you could say the shop guy was telling the truth, but he was concealing a big assumption.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 08:42   #8

Please list the successful replacement O rings with specs and price for others who will follow.
KenNorris49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 13:29   #9

The dimensions of the o-rings - as I measured - are 63mm by 3.5mm. I could not find that size on a website that would ship to Canada. I wanted my boat to be in service soon again, so I spent the big bucks on the o-rings from Volovo $CDN 22 a piece plus taxes.

I hope someone finds else a good source for cheaper rings. I would stock them for the next time.

At about $2800 for the exhaust manifold, I did not want to reuse the old o-rings.

The heat exchanger was pretty clean. The exhaust elbow revealed a small hole after taking it out, tapping the rust spot with a hammer, and probing with a screw driver.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5264.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	101223

The elbow has a low spot where the salt water can collect and rust through. This elbow is 6 years old.I guess rinsing with fresh water or salt away, at least for layup, would get a longer life for that elbow.

On another subject. About 3 years ago I installed a very simple fuel polishing system in my boat, with the pick right at the bottom of the tank. When I first ran the system the the see-thru cup turned black for about 20 minutes. I run the polisher about once a monce for a few minutes, and do not see anything obvious ever in the fuel stream.

Now I changed the polishing filter and found the cup bottom to be full of gunk as hard as epoxy. I could not scrape it off.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5250.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	101224
Old 30-04-2015, 14:28   #10

Pity. I used O-Rings, Inc. Since 1958 - Buy Online with excellent results in the past.

I know I asked this before, but is there a way efficiently to share our search about D2-40 engines? I don't know how to contact moderators etc to establish a site on the forum.
Cross references to Volvo parts should save owners heaps. There is the start of a cross reference resource in the attachment here. Although it deals mainly with D1-30, some overlap:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-38906-78.html

the attachment:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...2&d=1263642962

As I mentioned elsewhere, I saved myself ~$800 on glow plugs (two engines) alone by sourcing the exact same plug outside Volvo.
Old 30-04-2015, 22:25   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Agreed it would be nice to build a cross-reference table. Much of the auxiliary equipment is bought in, so there should be many opportunities. Last time I looked around I couldn't even get a cross on the oil filter...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 23:58   #12

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
The dimensions of the o-rings - as I measured - are 63mm by 3.5mm.
Thanks for the dimensions as this will help me source some generic ones here in Croatia.

On the subject of a reference library for parts I think this would be a great idea as it would save us all time and hopefully money in the long run. For example if you want to avoid the Volvo Air Filter then K&N's RC-0890 is an option with a lifetime warranty and reusable so longer term it saves the cost of replacing the Volvo unit every year.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:38   #13

So how do we do it?
Just start a forum here called
'Volvo Penta D2-40 parts cross reference'?

Or is there another, more efficient facility?

I think we should make a distinction between those after-market parts that are used successfully and those that come up merely as alleged part equivalents.

Perhaps there is a cruisersforum moderator who can give some advice please?
Old 01-05-2015, 14:55   #14

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I think there is a wiki associated with CF. That might be the place.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 02:40   #15

Boat: Freydis 49

Did someone manage to kick this Parts ref. information off?

Tags
heat exchanger, volvo