Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 12:18   #16

Boat: Newport 41
Re: Tips for a noob

a Perkins 65 hp from that era looks like it would be a 4-236 used in Massey Ferguson tractors and may other industrial applications.
found manual online @ igor.chudov.com with a marine supplement starting at pg 143. find the engine number on the right side front then go from there for filter and part replacements.
Rumlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 14:46   #17

Boat: ODAY 28

good advice in the above threads, if you do not replace fuel filters suggest carry spares, also you should keep a log on what maintenance you do, filter changes ect. with engine hours or date, and part numbers,
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:07   #18

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Tips for a noob

Suggest you get everything you need first, then when you know you've got everything. Start your maintainance.
Forgetting stuff is a huge time waster.
It is important to know how to purge air from your filter arrangement.
This is something a first timer wouldn't know how to do most likely.
Impellers as well, they need a bit of instruction to install.
Engine manuals won't show you how to install a primary fuel filter on a Racor or other brand of filtration system or the part numbers they use.
But they will help Id the filters on the engine

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:55   #19

I am in exactly the same situation as you are but a year ago. If there is good water flow from the xhaust I would leave the impeller (Idid) and checked it every time I went out. Now before this season it willbe replaced.
My fuel was in question so I removed as much as I could with a vacuum pump and filled up with fresh fuel and a bacteria killer. Then I inspected the primary filter it was slightly contaminated but well within limits so I left it alone not wanting to risk air in the system. Oil I vacuumed it out and replaced it with Shell Rotella the filter with an aftermarket unit. I too am mechanical but never had anything to do with a diesel I had a trouble free season I am on the hard now and my little beauty is getting full treatment per the Yanmar manual
Hope you are successful
jackj17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:41   #20

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackj17 View Post
I am in exactly the same situation as you are but a year ago. If there is good water flow from the xhaust I would leave the impeller (Idid) and checked it every time I went out. Now before this season it willbe replaced.
My fuel was in question so I removed as much as I could with a vacuum pump and filled up with fresh fuel and a bacteria killer. Then I inspected the primary filter it was slightly contaminated but well within limits so I left it alone not wanting to risk air in the system. Oil I vacuumed it out and replaced it with Shell Rotella the filter with an aftermarket unit. I too am mechanical but never had anything to do with a diesel I had a trouble free season I am on the hard now and my little beauty is getting full treatment per the Yanmar manual
Hope you are successful
Leaving the impeller is not a good idea. They still pump water when they are coming apart & you end up with little bits of the blades in your cooling system. If there is an oil cooler they usually end up there. If not they'll be plugging up your heat exchanger.

Also, it is not necessary to empty the fuel tanks. Diesel is not like gas in that it does not go bad over time. It can become contaminated with bacteria due to water accumulation from condensation but your filters will take care of that. Pumping the tank dry will still leave the crap at the bottom. However, if you have inspection plates with good access it would be worthwhile to remove all of the fuel & clean the tanks but do not throw the fuel away. Use a Baja or similar filter & pour it back in when you are done.

You can send a sample of your oil off for analysis which can help diagnose the condition of your engine.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote