Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 20:07   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 370 (36 ft)
Temp Alarm Sender for Volvo Penta

Have a diesel Volvo Penta model 2003. When I had it survey the mechanic said the temp alarm sender was the wrong part because the wiring connector for the alarm did not fit the connector on the sender. The are two wires on the engine, one is for a temp alarm and the other is for the temp gauge. My boat doesn't have a a gauge only an alarm.

The tech determined this by shorting each connector to ground, the one that triggered the alarm was the correct connector. In my case the alarm connector did not fit the installed temp sender. He said the original my have been replaced with the incorrect model.

Is this possible? Does anyone have a model number for the correct temp sender. It looks the wider connector is for the guage and the narrow is for the alarm.

Thanks
islandrunner70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Temp alam sender for Volvo Penta

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, islandrunner70.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:27   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Maybe this will help
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post654749
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:01   #4

Islandrunner, before you make up your mind on buying a senser, price one from Volvo. Be seated when you hear it. You might want to consider buying the plugin connector that fits your senser and only useing the wire that goes to the alarm. I think you will find that much less expensive. It is worth looking in to it. You might even take the senser out and go to an auto parts store to get a connector for even less than Volvo, and I doubt that the quality is one bit less.___Good Luck____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:17   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The temp alarm is only a thermal switch. If the connector doesn't fit, just cut it off and crimp on the correct one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 20:37   #6

Re: Temp Alarm Sender for Volvo Penta

I know this is an ancient post, but I just wanted to share some information so that some future person searching for answers that stumbles onto this thread can benefit. I was searching for a VDO aftermarket temperature warning switch for a model 2003 that was the same as the Volvo 840345 (which lists for $270!) which is the one that was shown in a parts book I had. It was listed as having an M14 x 1.5mm thread after researching online. There were none to found in the US, only in Europe, but I was in a hurry and couldn't wait. I ordered the part from the local Volvo Penta dealer, but this time got another parts person who gave me a different number, 833927, but when I went to pick it up I thought it was the wrong part since it was M18 x 1.5mm. Then I realized that I hadn't actually removed the old part to confirm its size and had just assumed from web search information that was M14. I went to the boat, removed the old one, and sure enought it was 18mm. So I bought the less expensive ($155) part, installed it, and was finally done with it. Later, I searched for a M18 x 1.5mm temperature switch and found one in the US with the same specs (switch point 95C) for $25 plus shipping here:
https://acdcmarineinc.com/shop/marin...bar-m18-x-1-5/

It also contains the sender to drive a single VDO temperature gauge if you ever need that capability, so even better than what I got. So a lessen learned, always verify the size of the part you need, don't assume anything.

There were apparently two sizes of temperature switch and gauge ports used on the model 2003 engine depending on the serial numbers- 14 and 18mm.
Hopefully somebody can profit from this information.
chetvaldes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, volvo, penta