Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2014, 21:59   #31
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Wisconsin
Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Posts: 572
Re: Sudden oil loss-Yanmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
No smoke out the oil fill cap, no smoke or oil collecting out the breather hose (goes to air cleaner)...
That eliminates bad rings or cylinder wear from bad injector. Bad injector would also result in black smoke after warmup. My guess would be bad mechanical fuel pump if the engine has one. A new mechanical pump or an electric fuel pump to take its place I think would be worth the money as a trouble shooting technique. I suppose a compression check could be done to make sure engine oil is not getting by the piston rings. I think some tests should be done to eliminate some of the theories on what the problem could be.
__________________

__________________
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 22:28   #32
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,651
Re: Sudden oil loss-Yanmar

34--I've already made it clear what I think happened.
__________________

__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 22:41   #33
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,815
Re: Sudden oil loss-Yanmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
34--I've already made it clear what I think happened.
Sorry I thought you were joking. So the other 6 quarts the OP put in the engine went where.


In the case of the 3jh2e, the lift pump, is located on the lower side of the injector pump housing and the lift pump plunger is driven by the injector pump cam. There is a external oil line connected from the block to the separate injector pump housing to lube the cam and bearing. Looks like the oil drains out through the bearing and and may have a wet sump at the fuel pump plunger height, based on parts diagrams and photo's.

If the injector pump housing has a small wet sump as it appears it would have, then it would be very possible for the fuel lift pump to suck oil in via a tear in the diaphragm. But only if the fuel filter was mostly clogged, as it seemed to have been.

Simple and logical.
__________________
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 13:20   #34
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Wisconsin
Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Posts: 572
Re: Sudden oil loss-Yanmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Sorry I thought you were joking. So the other 6 quarts the OP put in the engine went where.


In the case of the 3jh2e, the lift pump, is located on the lower side of the injector pump housing and the lift pump plunger is driven by the injector pump cam. There is a external oil line connected from the block to the separate injector pump housing to lube the cam and bearing. Looks like the oil drains out through the bearing and and may have a wet sump at the fuel pump plunger height, based on parts diagrams and photo's.

If the injector pump housing has a small wet sump as it appears it would have, then it would be very possible for the fuel lift pump to suck oil in via a tear in the diaphragm. But only if the fuel filter was mostly clogged, as it seemed to have been.

Simple and logical.
Yup, have to agree. Is the lift pump replaceable without having to replace the fuel injection pump?
__________________
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 18:56   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Posts: 78
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Sudden oil loss-Yanmar

Well, we've exhausted everyone's ideas about what could be wrong with Wing's motor, tested the oil cooler and fuel pump diaphragm and a lot more and we've found nothing.
Further, the problem is no longer evident; we're not losing any oil now, and we've put about five hours of operation on it without any loss.
So we are left with three choices:
1. We had a serious problem which we still have since nothing was fixed, but it's in remission.
2. We had a serious problem which fixed itself.
3. We never had a problem, we just thought we did.
Frankly I am leaning toward door number three, which is the same view as my mechanic here in Puntarenas, William, who seems to be very competent and thorough, and is highly recommended by several sources. William doesn't know what to think, he can't find anything wrong and can't say anything but good stuff about what he sees in our motor, although he's puzzled by the oil loss I reported. He also brought two other mechanics by to consult on the problem.
Possibly he doubts my report about the oil loss in the first place but it's hard to argue with the empty oil containers which we kept and anyhow, he's too polite to say so.
So, after a rigorous run up today, and no evidence of any problem, and having checked everything short of doing a major tear down, we'll cross our fingers, carry a lot of spare oil, and move on.

Thank you all for your interest.
__________________
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 19:28   #36
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Wisconsin
Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Posts: 572
Re: Sudden oil loss-Yanmar

Well, replacing the plugged fuel filter would reduce the "sucking" of oil across the pump diaphram and that could explain the sudden reduction in oil loss. You could put the old fuel filter back on and see the problem occurs again. However, consider that a lift pump with hole in it could dump diesel into the crankcase if there is enough change in fuel pump pressure on the diaphram. With enough diesel and a hot engine, the bearings could be destroyed from too thin a lubrication oil. I would replace the lift pump. If you put your thump on the suction side of the pump inlet and operate the lever, the suction should hold until you take you thumb off the inlet. If the suction is gone in a few seconds, well there is a hole in the diaphram.

That oil had to go someplace. Also, diesels do not tolerate lost of lubrication like a gasoline engine and a modern gasoline at freeway speeds can suffer bearing damage in three minutes without any oil. So, watch your oil level.
__________________
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 09:49   #37
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,365
Re: Sudden oil loss-Yanmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Well, we've exhausted everyone's ideas about what could be wrong with Wing's motor, tested the oil cooler and fuel pump diaphragm and a lot more and we've found nothing.
Further, the problem is no longer evident; we're not losing any oil now, and we've put about five hours of operation on it without any loss.
So we are left with three choices:
1. We had a serious problem which we still have since nothing was fixed, but it's in remission.
2. We had a serious problem which fixed itself.
3. We never had a problem, we just thought we did.
Frankly I am leaning toward door number three, which is the same view as my mechanic here in Puntarenas, William, who seems to be very competent and thorough, and is highly recommended by several sources. William doesn't know what to think, he can't find anything wrong and can't say anything but good stuff about what he sees in our motor, although he's puzzled by the oil loss I reported. He also brought two other mechanics by to consult on the problem.
Possibly he doubts my report about the oil loss in the first place but it's hard to argue with the empty oil containers which we kept and anyhow, he's too polite to say so.
So, after a rigorous run up today, and no evidence of any problem, and having checked everything short of doing a major tear down, we'll cross our fingers, carry a lot of spare oil, and move on.

Thank you all for your interest.
I've been leaning toward #3 for some time now! It aint witchcraft! The oil had to go somewhere or the measurement data is wrong. The oil either returned to the fuel tank somehow, or option #3.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 12:21   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 322
Re: Sudden oil loss-Yanmar

I don't think you can wish away 8qts of oil, sailorchic34 had what I believe is the best explaination for the disapearance then anyone, when that filter starts clogging again it will re-appear.
__________________

__________________
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oil, yanmar

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sudden Wind Gusts Thenaz007 Multihull Sailboats 40 19-07-2015 08:36
Sudden Onset Black Smoke - Yanmar 4JH-DTE Microship Engines and Propulsion Systems 30 13-07-2009 18:42
Genset - sudden jump in oil pressure? Beausoleil Engines and Propulsion Systems 6 08-05-2009 11:17
Sudden Trouble CharlieCobra Challenges 31 15-12-2008 09:35



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.