Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2007, 16:53   #1

stuck outboard

im trying to get my outboard working but im not much of a mechanic. i think its the flywheel, it eventually connects to the prop, is stuck. i can spin it to a certain point, 360 degrees, and it stops at the same point each time. if i use enough force i can i spin it past that spot, but then it just gets stick at the same spot when i come back around. im talking about the flywheel again, though the same thing happens with the prop, so it doesnt matter. does anybody have any suggestion on what the problem might be? im hoping i dont have to tear this **** apart.
clifflindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 17:08   #2

Have you got the spark plug out? If not, it's normal to have some resistance at one point in each revolution. But it should feel "springy" not stuck. If the plug is out and it's still sticking it sounds like a fairly major problem.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 19:10   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I agree. Pull the plug(s) to eliminate any resistance from compression. Listen for any metal to metal noises. Add some lube oil at the plug opening. Is there then less resistance? Is it a two stroke or four stroke? What horsepower is this engine? Does it have a starter motor? When was the last time that it was run?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 01:33   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I assume you have the cover off and you are talking about the big disk on top of the motor that the rope wraps around? I don't know the specific model but that thing must have a dog clutch or something. i.e. when you pull the rope it's engaged but when the engine turns the wheel the rope disconnects. One design would be a centrifugal clutch with return springs. Could have busted a spring.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 10:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
If you have a gear lever and this problem happens in nuetral, it is the Engine side that has the problem. If it ONLY occurs in gear, it is the gear/leg side that has the problem. Determining which and letting us know will help us zero in on a more accurate reply.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 12:03   #6

its a 8 horse, fourstroke honda. im not certain about its year or when it last ran. it looks in nice shape, i mean, ive seen older motors. it has a manual pull string start deal, i have already taken that off. the problem exists in any gear i put it in... maybe theres a possibility there is a problem with my gear adjust lever though. that would be equally shitty to take apart. and david, i did what you said and nothing changed.

how does one take the flywheel off? once again, i think its the flywheel, its the thing that the pull start is bolted onto. this "flywheel" has one nut in the center that i removed and i cant figure out why it will not just come off. i noticed that the bolt running through has one of those metal key peices down beside it. am i supposed to get that key out somehow?
Old 22-12-2007, 12:35   #7

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
How is the oil in the crankcase?? How much oil is in there and what color is it?
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 12:57   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
At this point I would go out and get a shop manual and go through the diagnostic checklist. Definitely do this before you start taking things apart essentially guessing at what the problem might be.

Make absolutely sure there is oil in that crankcase. It would not hurt to change out the crankcase oil. Look for emulsified oil, (water contamination) in the old crankcase oil...it is light brown in color.

Unfortunately for small outboards like yours it does not take too much internal damage for it to become cheaper to replace it with a new outboard. Much of that will depend on how mechanically inclined you are and how much you want to dig in to repairing this. I'm sure you know how much labor for outboard engine mechanics costs.

Amazon.com: Clymer Honda Outboard Shop Manual: 2-130 HP four-stroke - 1976 - 2005 (Includes Jet Drives) (Clymer Marine Repair) (Clymer Marine Repair): Books: Mitzi McCarthy,Michael St Clair,Robert Caldwell

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 12:57   #9

What makes you think it's the flywheel that's the problem? Is there some kind of noise coming from it when you turn it? You'll probably need either a puller or a special tool from Honda to get it off.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 16:44   #10

theres oil in the engine and its black, so i assume its fine. judging by the dipstick though. i may pick up a book for this engine, but a new outboard might be a good idea too. i dont think the flywheel is the problem, but in order to dig deeper, i think i have to take it off. i appreciate all of your input, but i think ive got a better chance tearing this apart.
Old 22-12-2007, 18:32   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Check the oil in the lower unit gear housing which is separate from the engine oil. This may be what David M was referring to. There should be a drain plug somewhere on the lower gear housing above the skeg. I am not familar with this particular engine but with my 7.5 Merc I have a little pump with a hose and fitting that screws into a fitting on the lower unit to refill it.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 19:29   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
It is probably not the flywheel.

Take the plugs out and it should spin freely, so to speak, if it is in neutral, you should be able to spin it easily. Lube up the cylinders and see if that improves anything. There may be rust in the cylinder(s) from sitting idle so long

If it still "sticks" you may have a major problem......i.e. bent rod
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 23:34   #13

how would you go about lubing up cylinders? just pour oil in where the spark plugs are?
Old 23-12-2007, 00:02   #14

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
I know nothing of your mechanical background or your knowledge of outboards so please don't take this wrong.

A lot of people don't realize that they must change the oil in 4-stroke outboard motors. If your oils is "Black" and you have never changed it, there is a possibility that you may have spun a bearing or done some other serious damage to this engine. What you are describing sounds a lot like a damaged rod or crank bearing.

Once you remove the spark plug and have the gear box in neutral, the engine should spin freely and quietly. When you pull the cord with the spark plug removed, do you hear a heavy clunk as the engine turns?
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard