Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 04:40   #1

Boat: Trintella 1 & 28ft
starting ciggarettes for SABB 10hp engine

I have a great engine in my sailboat. a SABB type G that gives me 10hp for a 200kg engine at 1400 rpm.
Mine is equipped with an electric and manual start.
However if its colder then 0°C its hardly impossible to start by hand without using starting ciggarettes.

Video of a SABB 10 hp started with starting cigarettes:
(Not mine, I have a trintella 1 sailboat with the same engine type from 1962)

These cigarettes are a non electric predecessor of the electric glowplug in normal diesel engines. They ignite by chemical reaction when in contact with diesel fuel.

Nevertheless i don't have a clue where i can buy these cigarettes.
I've found some internet gibberish about making them yourself but no "how to".

Any ideas, suggestions?
And please don't tell me to drill a hole through the cigarette holder and put an electric glow plug in. The whole point of this is having a reliable hand start option. The engine starts fine in cold weather when using the electric start.
ccgarnaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:01   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: starting ciggarettes for SABB 10hp engine

Great engines. Why dont you contact Sabb? They are still in business and are very responsive. Here is their email address post.sabb@frydenboe.no
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:13   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

The following may be a repeat of the "gibberish" you have seen elsewhere, and is offered with the following cautions:
  1. This is the memory from a middle-aged man of something his 80-year-old grandfather used to do 20 years ago to start a tractor of like age to grandpa.
  2. Our ancestors used to accept much more danger as part of everyday life. These techniques may be beyond acceptable danger levels by today's standards.
  3. Depending on where you live, it may be against the law.

Creating your own glow papers:
  1. Make a strong solution of warm water and saltpeter (potassium nitrate). This is the first "gibberish", since I can't give you quantities. Use the chemistry definition of "strong solution".
  2. Cut some blotter paper into rectangles of the appropriate size to roll into your cigarettes. This will take some experimentation. Blotter paper used to be quite available in stationary stores, now you may need to visit a chemist or a chemical supply house.
  3. Soak the blotter paper in the solution.
  4. Dry the blotter paper completely. This may be done in the sun or in an oven at very low temperature.
  5. Roll the dried papers into cigarettes.

From the engineering perspective, when you introduce the cigarette with saltpeter into the engine you are combining fertilizer and fuel oil to obtain what is known as "amfo", the explosive that was used in the Oklahoma City bombings. Most farmers used to know how to do this quite well, and used the material to blast stumps out of the ground regularly. For your use, the small amount creates a great deal of heat to warm the engine for starting. Because of the negative connotations now associated with the material many jurisdictions will frown on obtaining the supplies and making the material even in the tiny quantities you require. Proceed at your own risk.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:19   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Ahhh --strolling hand 'n hand down memory lane. Bless our Grampas
Old 03-01-2013, 10:27   #5

Boat: Trintella 1 & 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
The following may be a repeat of the "gibberish" you have seen elsewhere, and is offered with the following cautions:
  1. This is the memory from a middle-aged man of something his 80-year-old grandfather used to do 20 years ago to start a tractor of like age to grandpa.
  2. Our ancestors used to accept much more danger as part of everyday life. These techniques may be beyond acceptable danger levels by today's standards.
  3. Depending on where you live, it may be against the law.

Creating your own glow papers:
  1. Make a strong solution of warm water and saltpeter (potassium nitrate). This is the first "gibberish", since I can't give you quantities. Use the chemistry definition of "strong solution".
  2. Cut some blotter paper into rectangles of the appropriate size to roll into your cigarettes. This will take some experimentation. Blotter paper used to be quite available in stationary stores, now you may need to visit a chemist or a chemical supply house.
  3. Soak the blotter paper in the solution.
  4. Dry the blotter paper completely. This may be done in the sun or in an oven at very low temperature.
  5. Roll the dried papers into cigarettes.

From the engineering perspective, when you introduce the cigarette with saltpeter into the engine you are combining fertilizer and fuel oil to obtain what is known as "amfo", the explosive that was used in the Oklahoma City bombings. Most farmers used to know how to do this quite well, and used the material to blast stumps out of the ground regularly. For your use, the small amount creates a great deal of heat to warm the engine for starting. Because of the negative connotations now associated with the material many jurisdictions will frown on obtaining the supplies and making the material even in the tiny quantities you require. Proceed at your own risk.
Actually that is the best explanation so far. My Girlfriend just happen to be a chemist. Maybe she can figure out quantities now I actually now what I need.

I'm aware of the old views on safety, my father (now in his seventies) has been a marine engineer all his life. I've learned a lot from him however if I would use half the stuff I learned from him in Nautical college they would kick me out.
ccgarnaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 08:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgarnaal View Post
I have a great engine in my sailboat. a SABB type G that gives me 10hp for a 200kg engine at 1400 rpm.
Mine is equipped with an electric and manual start.
However if its colder then 0°C its hardly impossible to start by hand without using starting ciggarettes.

Video of a SABB 10 hp started with starting cigarettes:
(Not mine, I have a trintella 1 sailboat with the same engine type from 1962)

These cigarettes are a non electric predecessor of the electric glowplug in normal diesel engines. They ignite by chemical reaction when in contact with diesel fuel.

Nevertheless i don't have a clue where i can buy these cigarettes.
I've found some internet gibberish about making them yourself but no "how to".

Any ideas, suggestions?
And please don't tell me to drill a hole through the cigarette holder and put an electric glow plug in. The whole point of this is having a reliable hand start option. The engine starts fine in cold weather when using the electric start.
Search on the internet for Zundfix, link to ebay below.

Zündfix 7 mm Diesel 100 allumeur par compression diesel Saint-fusibles cavalier | eBay

This shop have them.

Firma FHO-Shop Freizeit Hobby Outdoor

Simone Zipper
Große Seite 38a
02748 Bernstadt

Telefon mobil: 0177/5056221 Telefon: 035874/499544
Fax: 03212/1281847
E-Mail: Veuillez utiliser le système de messagerie d'eBay Steuernummer: 208/292/02043
snowtiger4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 19:54   #7

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Wish they would work on my Westerbeke...

Looks like a fun engine. Primarily because it is old fashioned, likely cantankerous at times, obsolete, noisy and shakes a lot. Of course, if an engine just starts reliably at the push of a button and runs like it is supposed to, I lose interest pretty quick.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine