Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2019, 02:32   #46

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: EDIT SOLVED Smoking rebuilt Perkins Diesel help needed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtom View Post
Pump gov,timing r.p.m settings are on plate on fuel pumps or you look up OME codes same for crackpressure for injectors so fuel system was set up incorrectly,as for piston ring gap spacing would have come up with compression test
Re compression test, I don't believe it was tested after the rebuild, until it looked sketchy. Then I did a compression test, and all cylinders came up to pressure, but the faulty one after a couple of extra rotations. Finally after the top came off, I aligned all the pistons and put a centimeter of oil on them. Three held for days, but the one with the funky rings drained after 12 hours.... then I had them pull the whole thing and inspect, and they found the ring gaps perfectly, and incorrectly, aligned.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 07:26   #47

Re: Smoking rebuilt Perkins Diesel help needed!!!

=) I love a happy ending! Congrats
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 00:27   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Ciao y'all! Thought I'd let you know what happened with that smokey engine of mine...

Remember I said I couldn't tell if the smoke was white or blue? That's cause it was BOTH

1) Three of the four cylinders had been reassembled with the correct/specified 120 degree offset of the rings. The fourth? They lined up exactly like someone used a ruler. Turned them properly and the oil sheen and blue smoke went away.

BUT there was still plenty of white smoke and diesel sheen! So...

2) The 3 year old injectors were cleaned and tested when originally rebuilt, so they were eliminated from suspicion early on. However, it turned out that they were set/made to offer fuel at 175 atm pressure.... the PO missed that. My engine wants 225atm injectors. I think over the years and hours (6000 when he replaced the originals with the 175s) meant the compression was already lower, and so it wasn't noticed as smoking very much back then. A bit, which is why I overhauled, but not terrible. With the over-bored pistons, brand new everything, I think the deficiency really came out. I found the original Perkins injectors onboard (which, being an amazing PO, he had had cleaned, adjusted, and packed away in the spare parts of the boat when I bought it). Had them tested again to be sure (yup, 225 on the nose) and installed them. Poof! Or rather lack thereof.... white smoke gone.

Thanks all you guys for the advice and support as always! With the engine fixed and everything else refitted, it's time for a quick visit from my dad and then we're off to greece to start filming again and just in general living our damn lives not tied to a dock.....cannnnnot wait

I have a constant stream of light white smoke from my 4.236T, its after a full rebuild, I was wondering how much smoke did you have when you had this issue.

its possible I have the same problem as you, as the engine got upgraded to a 4.236T from 4.236 during rebuild.
aidank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 04:38   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidank View Post
I have a constant stream of light white smoke from my 4.236T, its after a full rebuild, I was wondering how much smoke did you have when you had this issue.

its possible I have the same problem as you, as the engine got upgraded to a 4.236T from 4.236 during rebuild.
Aidank,

This thread is from 2019 and Sojourner hasn't been on the Forum since December 12th. You might have better luck by private-messaging Sojourner or maybe starting your own thread...?

Good luck,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, perkins