Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 21:10   #1

Boat: TaShing Baba 40'
Searing Parts of an 1983 Volvo Penta

Need help in finding VOLVO parts!

When I bought my TaShing Baba 40', it came with the original 1983 MD30A engine (and a MS2B transmission). This engine is still in good state and has only 1700 hours.

While overhauling the boat, I discovered that her Exhaust Elbow was corroded. This elbow come in two parts: part #844091-9 being hooked to the exhaust manifold and downstream is part #838313-5 from which the hose goes thereafter to the muffler then to the engine thru-hull. The latter seems beyond repair.

Volvo dealers in Canada stated these parts were discontinued. I was reading from previous CF threads where it was said that several Volvo engines were built by other manufacturers.

Is someone could help me in finding which manufacturer(s) built this engine then painted her in green to create this MD30A Volvo product?

It is also possible that only some parts come from other manufacturer(s)...???

Would someone know if parts of this MD30A engine are still available?

Thank you to all,

Cheers

Mag
Mag Dumais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 21:33   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: SEARCHING PARTS OF AN 1983 VOLVO PENTA

My suggestion is to contact the fellow at this webpage.
ExhaustElbow.com

He can custom make anything in stainless. I purchased 2 elbows from him and was very happy with his work.

You may need to send him the old corroded parts so he can use them as a pattern, but I'm willing to bet he has already made that elbow before.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 02:14   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Unfortunately, the MD30 series engines are made by Volvo, in any case even when manufacturers use another manufacturer's 'base' engine, the exhaust manifold is, more often than not, supplied by the marinizing company.

Luckily the 838313 part looks fairly simple, so it shouldn't be hard to have it fabricated. The fellow at the site listed by travellerw should easily be able to do it in stainless, or a proficient welder in your area could do it too. Stainless is nice, but it's not absolutely necessary...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 06:43   #4

As mentioned, the MD 30 engine that you have was designed and built by Volvo Penta. The MD30 model was the lowest h.p. rating of the 30/40 family of engines which went as high as 165 hp, so it's internal components, such as pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft, etc. were very substantial for that size engine, and will last a long time if cared for.

The exhaust elbow, #844091 is still available from VP. Early versions of this elbow were all cast iron, and subject to internal corrosion, although they could be drilled and cleaned to maintain water flow. Later versions had a stainless steel liner within a cast iron outer housing and were not as subject to problems.

The exhaust tip/ reducer # 838313 is no longer available, but as its function was to merely reduce the exhaust hose size, it can be replaced by one made of stainless, fiberglass or even cast iron pipe.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 07:46   #5

Volvo Penta motors were built f.i by Indenor/France f.i. but they closed doors in 1995,
a Germann firm Indenor Retro - Die Motorenlegende lebt! could help you cause they are getting spare part catalogues.
A dealer from NL: Mulder Motoren BV
and one from Hamburg Carl Baguhn Hamburg - Carl Baguhn
...http://shop.bootsmotoren.de/Suchergebnis.html
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 12:00   #6

Volvo Penta did use some engine blocks that were built by Indenor, but the MD 30 engine was not one of them. The MD 30 was designed and manufactured by Volvo Penta.

The Indenor blocks that were used were:

VP model MD19- Indenor block XDP4-88 ( 4 cylinder, 88mm bore, 1.9 l displ.)
VP model MD21- Indenor block XDP4-90 ( 4 cylinder, 90mm bore, 2.1 l displ.)
VP model MD29- Indenor block XDP6-88 ( 6 cylinder, 88mm bore, 2.9 l displ.)
VP model MD32- Indenor block XDP6-90 ( 6 cylinder, 90mm bore, 3.2 l displ.)

The last of these to be used was the MD21, and it went out of production in the early '80s, when it was replaced by the MD30.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 12:34   #7

This is a job for:

stainless steel fabricator man

Seriously ... just pay a welder to make one. It'll be quicker and cheaper than a green one
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 13:31   #8

Boat: Sabre 28

How is the elbow attached to the engine? On the MD7A there is a threaded flange on the exhaust manifold and the elbow screws into that. The threads are NPT and on my boat Sabre built their own exhaust riser, with water injection, out of black pipe. If your engine has the threaded flange you might be able to do something similar.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 20:51   #9

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter, 24'

I'm with "fabricator man". Fabricators are a good unknown-to-the-masses "tool" when you need something made.

Since I found out how much they can do I use them a lot.

I would take the elbow off--take pictures before you do so. Then put the pictures on a laptop (if you have one) and go to a fabrication shop with the elbow and say "how much"? They will take it from there. I bet it will be 1/2 the cost of one from Volvo.

The pictures help them get an idea of exactly what it is you are asking for. I would also take measurements on all sides of the elbow so the fabricator knows how much clearance he/she has to play with when developing a new elbow.
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 12:16   #10

Boat: TaShing Baba 40'

This is the first thread (I believe) highlighting the Volvo Penta MD30.

Thank you very much to all. I did learn lots on this engine and I now feel from your comments that I have a good engine after all.

You gave me lots of options to solve my problems. Yes, a matter of fact, the wet exhaust manifold part # 844091 is available between 700-900 USD but the exhaust pipe part# 838313 will have to be fabricated. These two parts are male/female type connection to eachother and hold in place with an exhaust type hose with clamps.

Now my first step to refurbish this, I will likely remove from the engine the wet exhaust manifold and bring these two abovementioned two parts to a 'fabrication man'. From there, final decision will become easier.

Thank you all again for your precious comments!

Cheers

Mag

Nova Scotia
Mag Dumais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 04:07   #11

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter, 24'
Re: Searing Parts of an 1983 Volvo Penta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag Dumais View Post
When I bought my TaShing Baba 40'
Nice boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag Dumais View Post
Need help in finding VOLVO parts!

Would someone know if parts of this MD30A engine are still available?
Very likely yes (mostly). My engine is a 1983 Volvo (MD7A model) and I have been able to find everything I was looking for as far as fuel filters, oil filters and such go. Everything else I have been able to scrounge.

When you google "Volvo MD30A parts" and then click "images"--you get a lot of schematics. Click those schematic images. You will then be taken to a Volvo webpage that shows the part and if Volvo still makes it or not. This information is what you use when searching for parts.

In working with the Volvo dealer I found that they used this exact same webpage when looking for parts.

Here is a direct link to the top of the list for your engine:
https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...t-7744050.aspx
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, parts, penta, volvo