Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2019, 20:31   #1

Sanblasting inside built-in fiberglass tank?

Hi I just removed all my diesel from my built-in fiberglass tank to polish it. When I look inside the tanks to give them a good scrubbing I noticed that the paint / coating on the inside is bubbling up in some areas. the problem is the access is limited. I have a 12" inspection plate at the top and the tanks continue to the keel so I can reach much with my hands. To remedy this I am thinking of the following and would like feedback. to scuff and remove the existing paint / coating inside the tank I am thinking of using an attachment to a pressure washer that turns it into a wet sandblaster. I have seen some videos of it and it seems to work fine. Since the gun has a long wand I should be able to reach all areas. Then clean and suck the water with sand and re-coat with some sort of coating for diesel tanks or something appropriate. Has anybody ever done this if so what was your outcome and experience or is this a crazy idea?

Thanks
Disielcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 23:27   #2

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Re: Sanblasting inside built-in fiberglass tank?

That would be fun to watch! I expect the tank would soon be filled with water and wet sand, and you would be thoroughly sandlogged!

Cheers,
Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass