Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2014, 14:07   #1

Boat: Moody 41ac
Rust streaks from exhaust

I have a moody 41ac with a Volvo 55hp engine. Recently rust stains have appeared on the hull below the exhaust outlet and there is a rust tide mark in the outlet tube coming from the Vetus anti-syphon valve (photo).

The boat is only 18months old and I'm concerned that seawater is feeding back into the engine when the boat is heeled to starboard. I've also noticed that when the engine is running there is a lot of air coming in through the anti-syphon valve on its outlet side, is this connected to the problem or is it normal?

The anti syphon valve is mounted above the engine and the rust tide mark in the outlet tube is roughly level with the top of the engine.

I am pushing the manufacturer for an answer but any suggestions on the probable cause would be welcome.

Glyn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	88138  
glynhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:23   #2

Boat: Moody 41ac
Re: Rust streaks from exhaust

Problem solved. The cast elbow feeding water into the mixing elbow from the anti siphon valve was fitted upside down, so seawater was sitting in the pipe and eating away at the elbow over the winter months. I've fitted it correctly and now it drains when the engine stops.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
glynhome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust