Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2024, 06:54   #16

Re: Red Diesel - Can I use it after approx 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
Personally, I would have zero issues with putting this into my fuel tank. I've started diesel engines that sat for 12 years with the fuel that was in the tanks. Just checked it for water in the fuel, and if none, fire her up! Diesel doesn't degrade or suffer from phase separation like gasoline does. Especially if kept dry.
Same here. Have used diesel that is well over 12 years old. Was too expensive to get rid of (California) and my Perkins seemed to ingest it just fine. It had darkened quite a bit and didn't really smell like diesel (more like linseed oil) but still ran okay.

Your diesel looks fine. I'd run it and not worry a bit.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 08:06   #17

As others have said, you can probably add it to your tank and be fine. Another option it to go to a hardware store and get a new metal paint can and throw it in there along with a old tooth brush. Use it to service your winches. If small, the whole winch can be thrown in. If you have a big boat throw everything in but the drum. Your not wasting it, just repurposing it.
intervivos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 08:16   #18

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Or just give it to a guy for his tractor. Especially if you are in a low income area, that might be genuinely appreciated.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 09:08   #19

Boat: Pearson 386

I would simply say that if you haven't topped up the tank in your boat in three years then probably some if not more of the fuel in the tank is similarly as old as what's in your jug. Concern for particulate or water yes but otherwise fine. Even if that in jug has been sitting as emergency/reserve for 3 years, if you have changed your fuel filters every season or two and tend to your fuel/water separator you should be just fine. Also, I didn't learn the size of your fuel tank but certainly you might consider that even if it is less than ideal it still contributes a fraction to the total fuel in the tank?
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 09:18   #20

Boat: Bavaria 36'

Most of our old design diesel engines are pretty forgiving of any fuel which is mostly diesel. The fuel suppliers do change the formulation summer and winter as diesel can go thick and waxy in very cold conditions. If it were me I’d feed it into my tank so that it is not more than say 2 parts fresh and one part old. Then top up the spare with fresh. Next time just put the lot in. We tend to replenish the main tank from the spare then refill the spare. We always top up the spare with white not red as the French are fussy. Or they were when we were in the EU. Now our red diesel purchases in the UK are nothing to do with them! (But keep the receipts.)
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 09:19   #21

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

Thanks for the discussion .It's quite interesting for me because I have more than 500 liters in my tanks of 5 years old diesel and the engine start fast without problems and in the first 15 mins produce a white smoke and it disappear after that .My concern if I it can produce a damage in the fuel injector or diesel pump.
I take a sample and observed it several months not observed any water separation or debris .The last bug treatment was strong.
I'm thinking to fill the tanks with other 500 liter of fresh diesel and mix both .Any comments or suggestions ? thanks
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 09:42   #22

In my experience whether it's diesel or petrol! If it smells right! It's good to use!
Legendsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 10:06   #23

Boat: Cal25 - Mark II

Backup diesel generator fuel tanks sit for years without "going bad". Unlike gasoline, diesel fuel is just thin, clean oil.
MHTinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 10:38   #24

Boat: Bayliner 2450 Sunbridge

I live in farm country (Yakima Valley of Washington state) and quite often equipment sits for several years with red diesel in it without being fired up until they need to use it.

Add in that I wouldn't be afraid of diesel red or taxed that had sat in a closed container with no air getting to it in a building where it wasn't exposed to the elements.

Still it is what gives you peace of mind and if this is a peace of mind issue it may be better to give it to someone who can use it as furnace oil or in a blast heater or in their old tractor that doesn't care what it gets as long as it smells like diesel.
rob d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 13:33   #25

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Great addition to a heating oil tank.
This. Exactly
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 20:55   #26

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncancw View Post
Hi

I have kept a 5 gallon plastic container with Red Diesel in my aft locker for nearly three years. I kept meaning to top up the boats tank with it but I've just never got round to it and now 3 years have past!

I took it home last month and shook the container before taking a sample. After leaving it for 48 hours, there doesn't appear to be any water separation and very little debris seems to have collected at the bottom of the sample. I use Marine 16 diesel bug treatment in my main tank every year and (to date) that seems to have worked quite well in keeping the dreaded bug away.

Is it safe to top up my main tank with this diesel?

I had 80l of12 year old diesel in one of the tanks..noticed started to grow some bacteria...I added a bio fuel treatment and it completely cleared up the old fuel., however, I did empty the fuel into cans and cleaned the stainless fuel tank..
Anyway, I used it all up without any problems.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 23:01   #27

on stan-by generators red derv would be in the tanks for decades!
paul2884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 18:41   #28

More than 30 yrs old diesel!!
When I was in Panama, staying at the Pedro Miguel Boat Club at the Pedro Miguel canal lock, they were selling (cheap) military surplus diesel from an old military tank there. How old? Very good question, at least 30 yrs old. They filtered it well and guaranteed it very usable. I took a gamble as the source of information was quite reliable and knowledgeable. Took on 200 gallons of it and motored every bit of it through my Perkins 4-154 and never had any problem. None. Crazy but true. Worked perfectly, bashing into the Pacific seas for hundreds of miles. 3 yrs? Ha ha, no problem.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 19:03   #29

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
More than 30 yrs old diesel!!
When I was in Panama, staying at the Pedro Miguel Boat Club at the Pedro Miguel canal lock, they were selling (cheap) military surplus diesel from an old military tank there. How old? Very good question, at least 30 yrs old. They filtered it well and guaranteed it very usable. I took a gamble as the source of information was quite reliable and knowledgeable. Took on 200 gallons of it and motored every bit of it through my Perkins 4-154 and never had any problem. None. Crazy but true. Worked perfectly, bashing into the Pacific seas for hundreds of miles. 3 yrs? Ha ha, no problem.
Are you sure? Maybe it worked great because it was quite freshly pilfered diesel.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 19:30   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofGlenans View Post
It is no longer permitted to use marked diesel (UK-red, Ireland-green etc), in EU waters.
or Canada

Tags
diesel