Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2012, 16:13   #1

Re-Powering Suggestions?

Greetings - We're looking for some ideas on what engine to put into Vagabond 42 - about 29,000lbs. The Lehman is in the process of giving up the ghost and we're looking into - What Next?

Something in the 60hp neighborhood.

Thanks
KuparukGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 16:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Re-Powering Suggestions?

To some degree it might depend on what country you're located in. Some engines are better supported with parts and service in different areas.

If you're in the US or the UK I highly recommend the Beta Marine version of the Kubota diesel.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 16:37   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

It kinda comes down to a few questions.

What's your budget?
Where will you be sailing?
Can you do maintenance/work on it yourself?
And what will fit right back in the same space?

These are some items you need to know before shopping for a new diesel.

And some other items you'll need to consider are:
Can you use the same prop?
Can you use the same wetlift and exhausts?
Can you use the same motor supports and at what angle?
Are the fuel lines the same size or will you need large?

There are a lot of details to consider in replacing a motor. Is the Leman rebuildable? And will parts be available for the next 10 years?
Old 23-10-2012, 17:48   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I would go for engine quality over parts availability.

Bukh makes good engines.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 18:47   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Check shaft size and space available and weight distribution to see if a John Deere 4045D/ZF63 will fit.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 19:25   #6

I recently repowered my swanson 42, replacing the original Lehman 80HP with a WM Diesel marinized Kubota. That same Kubota engine is marinized by Beta and Nanni. Very happy with the new engine, it is smaller, lighter, quieter and more fuel efficient than the ford.

The performance curves of the Kubota are almost identical to the Ford, I retained the original gearbox (rebuilt) and the original prop shaft and propeller. The original fuel lines and exaust system were retained. New engine panel, of course. And Wm Diesel fabricated custom made feet to fit my engine bed. The kubota sits much lower than the Ford, and I had a custom made high rise mixing elbow fabricated.

I had a good marine diesel fitter advising/helping on the crucial bits. He advised getting a new engine, despite a rebuild of the Ford meaning more work for him. As he said, while a good engine in its day, the ford is a 50 year old design, and parts are becoming hard to get, especially in remote places. Here in Australia, it is impossible to get things like exhaust manifold, high pressure fuel lines, etc. I would urge new over rebuild.

The new engine probably cost twice the cost of rebuild. If your engine is 57HP, I understand they can be rebuilt a little more cheaply than the 80HP. Not sure about the parts situation for the 57HP.

The physical removal/replacement of the engine is worth some thought. The Ford is very heavy, despite the fact I stripped it to bareblock/sump to get it out. A crane is essential, I strongly recommend against using the boom. At some stage during removal one or two people will be working alongside or under the engine.

I don't know the configuration of your boat, but I had to cut the cockpit sole out for removal/replacement. I agonised over that for some time, but it was the only way. Again, with all that effort, I did not want to be putting an old engine back.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 19:30   #7

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

If you are travelling overseas get a Yanmar. It is the only one for which you can find parts in a lot of places. Even in the Caribbean it is hard to find parts for other brands in many islands. I have heard that in the South Pacific Yanmars are even more dominant than the Atlantic
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 20:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
I recently repowered my swanson 42, replacing the original Lehman 80HP with a WM Diesel marinized Kubota. That same Kubota engine is marinized by Beta and Nanni. Very happy with the new engine, it is smaller, lighter, quieter and more fuel efficient than the ford.

The performance curves of the Kubota are almost identical to the Ford, I retained the original gearbox (rebuilt) and the original prop shaft and propeller. The original fuel lines and exaust system were retained. New engine panel, of course. And Wm Diesel fabricated custom made feet to fit my engine bed. The kubota sits much lower than the Ford, and I had a custom made high rise mixing elbow fabricated.

I had a good marine diesel fitter advising/helping on the crucial bits. He advised getting a new engine, despite a rebuild of the Ford meaning more work for him. As he said, while a good engine in its day, the ford is a 50 year old design, and parts are becoming hard to get, especially in remote places. Here in Australia, it is impossible to get things like exhaust manifold, high pressure fuel lines, etc. I would urge new over rebuild.

The new engine probably cost twice the cost of rebuild. If your engine is 57HP, I understand they can be rebuilt a little more cheaply than the 80HP. Not sure about the parts situation for the 57HP.

The physical removal/replacement of the engine is worth some thought. The Ford is very heavy, despite the fact I stripped it to bareblock/sump to get it out. A crane is essential, I strongly recommend against using the boom. At some stage during removal one or two people will be working alongside or under the engine.

I don't know the configuration of your boat, but I had to cut the cockpit sole out for removal/replacement. I agonised over that for some time, but it was the only way. Again, with all that effort, I did not want to be putting an old engine back.

Lee
Thanks for taking the time for your replies. Great thoughts and recommendations. We think the cockpit sole may need to come out also.
KuparukGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote