Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2017, 08:15   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Raw Water Pump Grease Cup.

did a little maintenance on my water pump">raw water pump this weekend (oberdorfer N202M-03) to check the impeller and noticed it has a grease cup your supposed to tighten every once in a while to lubricate the internals.

I didn't realize it was there and have put 50 hours on the engine since I owned it and have no idea what the previous owner did for maintenance. supposedly from researching your supposed to give it a half turn or so every 10 hours.

my question is can I overtighten it and inject too much grease into the internals? im tempted to crank it down several full turns to make sure I get some grease inside but don't want to damage an expensive pump.

any recommendations how to proceed?
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 13:54   #2

Re: Raw Water Pump Grease Cup.

Usually the Oberdorfer pumps with grease cups required greasing because the stainless shaft just ran in the bronze pump housing.....no sealed ball bearings. If you missed a bit of greasing it is probably OK.

Check around and get a small container of "water pump grease" .... Usually a white grease by Lubriplate or similar supplier.

Unscrew and remove the grease cup cover from the pump and clean out the old grease that might be remaining in the cup, and pack the cover full of fresh grease. Then clean out any old grease from the half of the cup that is screwed in the pump housing, and using your finger or a putty knife, fill that up with fresh grease. Screw the loaded cover onto the stationary half of the cup and continue screwing down the cover until you feel some resistance, then give it an extra 1/2 or 3/4 turn, and you should be set to go. If you overdo it....no problem.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 14:17   #3
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: Raw Water Pump Grease Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
Usually the Oberdorfer pumps with grease cups required greasing because the stainless shaft just ran in the bronze pump housing.....no sealed ball bearings. If you missed a bit of greasing it is probably OK.

Check around and get a small container of "water pump grease" .... Usually a white grease by Lubriplate or similar supplier.

Unscrew and remove the grease cup cover from the pump and clean out the old grease that might be remaining in the cup, and pack the cover full of fresh grease. Then clean out any old grease from the half of the cup that is screwed in the pump housing, and using your finger or a putty knife, fill that up with fresh grease. Screw the loaded cover onto the stationary half of the cup and continue screwing down the cover until you feel some resistance, then give it an extra 1/2 or 3/4 turn, and you should be set to go. If you overdo it....no problem.

DougR
Ok great thanks for the info. I didn't realize there was another half to it attached to the pump I could service as well. pump seems to running normal so I think its all good. glad I noticed it.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, raw water pump, water