Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2009, 10:17   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Raw Water Filter Question

When you clean the raw water filter, do you need to prime the system or is it not necessary. I don't see any way to prime the system, just turn the cap on tightly. My maintenance book says nothing about priming.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 10:24   #2
Eternal Member

Not necessary at all on most boats, because the engine is mounted below the waterline, as is much of the intake plumbing.
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 11:37   #3

Thank you, I wanted to be sure before I started the motor. Also thank you for the reason.
Old 13-06-2009, 13:17   #4
Eternal Member

Most welcome. Also, make it a habit -- if you haven't already -- to check to see that there is good cooling water flow from the exhaust every time you start a marine engine. This way you'll soon learn what is "normal" for your engine and you may be able to detect reduced water flow caused by a partial blockage or pump failure before any damage occurs to the engine.

Cheers,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 14:43   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
Pilots have a checklist that they go through before they pushback. It has help for us to have a checklist also. One of the items a friend of our's forgot was, "unplug from shore power". Yep, those pedastals will pull out! (Sorry Dave!) But, as Bill was pointing out, checking water flow is absolutely esential for checking everytime you start the engine.

When my boat has been pulled from the water, I have to prime by closing the seacock and filling it up with water. I don't have to do this when I just change the filter. So, your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 15:06   #6

My exhaust is tucked under the stern. The old owners just listened to hear that it was OK. I think I understand your comments to mean that you could HEAR exhaust, but there may be a reduction in the amount that could be serious. I will begin to hang over the stern to view.
I cleaned the raw water filter, not bad, and have run the engine. The vacuum valve in line with the raw water filter was dripping. (there is a nipple at the top of the vacuum valve that the water was coming from) Is this due to the filter being cleaned, a normal drip, or the indication that there may be something in need of attention?
Dave

Tags
raw water