Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 06:31   #1

Power down-grade

On a 6cyl diesel, how difficult would it be to down grade the power, Similar to what Cadillac did in the 80's and currently doing again with their V8-6-4?

I don't need a 120hp, so can I shut down 2 cylinders, return the fuel and open or remove the intake valves to reduce the compression on those 2 cylinders? If so, which cylinders?
I'm looking for fuel economy and only need 80Hp. I've thought about exchanging the engine with someone or company, however the 6cyl is to heavy for me to do by myself, so that's out of the question.

I don't have the funds to re-power.

Any suggestion?
bankerboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:16   #2

Re: Power down-grade

There is a zero cost/zero effort solution....throttle back to 2/3rds and the 120hp engine will put out around 80hp.

You will get pretty much all of the efficency benefits without the risk of oddball modifications (Cadilac had teams of engineers and purpose built pieces and parts along with the ability to test the engines for thousands of miles, so it's not really comparable).

Lots of powerboat owners with big engines report getting about the same MPG as the trawlers by simply throttleing back to trawler speeds. Water resistance is what eats up the fuel not the extra couple pistons.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote