Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 15:55   #16

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That link is for a small case alternator. The real robust Leece Nevilles are large case like the ones that used to be used on Kenworth Trucks etc.. see the one in the pic.

nice setup, what engine is that Cheechako?
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 16:01   #17

Thats a little 12V generator called a Little Genie built by a little company called Ample Power up here in Seattle. He makes good regulators and alternators too.
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:10   #18

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
OK, made some calls around.
For a rebuilt perkins 4-108 from TAD, with full marine accessories, minus starter and alternator would run around 6900. Add 625 for a new intrrument panel and wiring, senders, shipping, starter, and a serpentine belt setup and it comes out to around 8800 usd.
The guy locally says he can do it cheaper from a place in Houston, but when I called them directly, they hemmed about the price, bu it sure was not cheaper. TAD gave me clear pricing, while this place in Houston, diesel parts, did not.

So how hard is it to remove and replace a diesel engine? I know basicly how to do it, but never having done it... Is it a do it yourself job? I understand I might need professional help to line up the prop shaft, but everything I read says it shouldn't be to bad a job. The locals want $$85 bucks per hour to do it.
Long story but I do not trust them to do whats in my interest.
Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:20   #19

Well... disconnecting everything shouldnt be too bad. Will you be in a yard? they should be able to crane it out for you. Check that pricing and availability before you haul. and check stoargae days and fees, as you will spend more time hauled than you think! Shaft alignment isnt really too hard, find some instructions how to do it. You will likely need to realign once back in the water and then after a month or two after your new mounts settle...This might be a good time to check your shaft and stuffing box. If you can pull the shaft into the boat a few inches, check the area where the stuffing rides, there may be a worn groove or bad corrosion in this area if the boat sits a lot.
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:44   #20

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Here is a link to engine alignment.
Engine Alignment
I also have a 4108 but have not had to pull it out yet. If I did I would remove starter, alternator, head and oil pan to make lighter and give myself some room.
Let us know!!!
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:16   #21

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
I see this working 4-108 located in Houston just got listed on e-bay a few hours ago. May be worth checking out.

Perkins 4-108 marine engine with Hurth Transmission:eBay Motors (item 110421709271 end time Aug-13-09 06:56:24 PDT)
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild