Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 09:49   #16

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: Outboard Not Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
Thanks for all the advice.I took the carbi apart this morning ,funny thing is it looked realy clean .Another aussie cruiser lent me his can of carbi cleaner and we gave it a good blast. It is now running again . I will have to keep a couple of cans of this stuff onboard.

www.byamee.com
Glad to hear it Tom!

Enjoy!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:06   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Koopmans Steel 42 Centre Cockpit
Send a message via Yahoo to Yot Libertad
Re: Outboard Not Running

Carb cleaner works real good on Evinrude E-Tec injectors, too. Had the SA agent tell me that the "injector was shot" on one of my inshore survey boat motors and as the motors were out of warranty, he wanted to fit a new one. The cost of a replacement is astronomical and the agents show no mercy, so I went all practical as yotties do and happened to find an old can of Quicksilver Carb Cleaner left over from servicing my 10hp Mariner years ago. Worked a treat and dissolved the little speck of muck. Injector has not misbehaved since ( just remember to fit the injectors in the same location - ie : don't mix them up). Carb Cleaner should always be in the spares box.
Yot Libertad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:50   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Carb cleaner is the best way of blowing out the jets. Try not to use a needle or wire (as suggested earlier ) as it might damage the jet. Alcohol works too if you remove the jet and soak it. Always keep a can of carb cleaner around, especially with the crappy gasoline you get nowadays.
Old 05-07-2011, 16:07   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Well done!
kind regards,
Old 05-11-2012, 13:50   #20

Boat: Wastsail 42

I've had the same problem with my Yamaha 15 where it would only run if choked 2/3 or if powered up a bit. Died if idled off-choke. Renewed many small parts to no avail. Then I found and read these threads, cleaned the pilot jet with a hypodermic needle, reinstalled the carb and the motor ran like new again. Thanks to you all for adding your content to the mix. I've been going round and round with the problem, until now.
outrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard