Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2008, 17:39   #1

Boat: Vagabond 47
outboard flooding

Hi all I tried to get the outboard for the dingy going and discovered this problem. It's a 5 hp two stroke Merc. When I connected the external tank to it the fuel floods the carb. If I try to start the motor without the tank connected it runs fine, as soon as I connect the tank it floods and dies. This motor also has an internal tank so I put fuel in that tank started the motor and switched over to internal tank and the same thing happened. Ok I thought the float be stuck in the open position, took the carb off the motor and cleaned it all out, I even opened the screw that is in the bottom of the bowl and shot carb cleaner inside shook it all up and I could hear the float moving. Thought I was all set, put it all back together and still have the same problem. My question is, could there be a small hole or tear in the rubber diaphram that is mounted on the side of the carb where the fuel line connects, or do you think it is still a float problem. If it is a float problem are there any little parts that will come flying out when I open up the bowl? I seem to remember this happening when I tried to fix my lawn mower many years ago.
Thanks
Captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 18:02   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captden View Post
, or do you think it is still a float problem. If it is a float problem are there any little parts that will come flying out when I open up the bowl? I seem to remember this happening when I tried to fix my lawn mower many years ago.
Thanks
Captden
Could be.

Usually parts don't fly out. There is a spring involved and when you release/remove the float hinge pin it can go a little ways.

I turn the carb upside down to get at the screws and keep it that way. take the pressure off of the spring by lifting the float before pulling the pin out.

ps If the float has liquid in it (shake to see/hear) it would be not good.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 18:11   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Your float may have a leak. When you shook the carb you could hear it move but if it's full of fuel it wont float. That would be my first guess. Something stuck in the inlet orifice that wont let the float close the inlet. Needle valve may be worn.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:54   #4

Boat: Vagabond 47
Hi Therapy & DeepFrz
Thanks for the information I took the float apart and discovered that the needle valve was stuck in the open position, after cleaning it up and freeing it works fine.
Put it all back together and the motor runs like a top. Thanks again gotta love this list
Captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:22   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by captden View Post
Hi Therapy & DeepFrz
Thanks for the information I took the float apart and discovered that the needle valve was stuck in the open position, after cleaning it up and freeing it works fine.
Put it all back together and the motor runs like a top. Thanks again gotta love this list
Captden
Great to hear when something works out easily.

My outboard is used seldom so I:

Run the motor out of gas. I "gun" it right at the end when it starts to stall out in the hopes of getting "all" the gas out.

Run some SeaFoam through it every now and again.

Has worked for 3 motors and 15 years. (one lawn mower)

Happy Days.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:17   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Thanks for checking back in Captden. So many people don't bother to check back in to let us know what the resolution was. Glad we could help.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard