Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 18:43   #1

Boat: Corbin 39
Oil leaking on oil pan gasket

After replacing of rod bearings on crank shaft. I did bad work with oil pan gaskets. It is made of set of three gaskets. The long ones from harder material
are okay. But front and rear gasket are leaking. I could see it in front and when i was pushing with finger on gasket it was soft and drop of oil did come out then.

But what worries me more is the other gasket at the back side. After the three hours of engine running i could see oil on a wheel through the hole in transmission.

I am in Guatemala now.I think i could go on to reach the USA and do the work there, but is it not the a clutch on the wheel, and will it not start to slide once the oil will reach her?
And how can i pump out now the oil.?

I did the work by elevating of engine as much i could and then working laying in the bilge under. When i am thinking now i remember that i had to push hard to get gasket in the channel. it is becoming clear to me now that i did lose volume of gasket doing it. I did not remove any other elements of the engine and it is that i am getting the picture now, that other elements then push on gasket to make them larger in direction where oil pan is pressing.

And what would be the best way to come out of this situation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02179.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	441.4 KB
ID:	122272  
pr2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 00:08   #2

Re: Oil leaking on oil pan gasket

That is the drive plate you can see, it soaks up any torsional vibrations etc between motor and Gearbox, your Borg Warner box input shaft spigots into the drive plate centre it cannot slip.
I assume you used the old gaskets that have grown due to compression & age, replacement is really the only reliable fix however a correctly prepared surface and sikaflex or a similar product may give a short term fix. If you use a sealant be careful not to contaminate the lube oil with it.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:36   #3

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Oil leaking on oil pan gasket

Ok. It means that i can go on. I will do the work later.

Thank you.
pr2501 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, oil, oil leak