Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2018, 11:58   #1

Oil Change Systems (GROCO U-LUBE, Reverso...)

I'm trying to find someone in the Fort Lauderdale area to install a oil change system in our sailing catamaran. We have two Volvo Penta D3 110 engines and a 21.5kw Onan generator... and I really want the oil change to be easy and clean.

I two systems GROCO U-LUBE and Reverso - do any of you have experience with either of these systems? Or maybe another comparable system?

It seems to be impossible to find good people in Fort Lauderdale -- well it has been a challenge.
InsuredApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:15   #2

Re: Oil Change Systems (GROCO U-LUBE, Reverso...)

I have a Reverso. It does my transmission, engine and generator. The hoses are connected to the oil pan drain plug. Installation is not complex, but it can potentially get messy and is a bit difficult.

Can you reach the oil pan drain plugs? If so, drain the oil with a dip stick pump. The lay a bunch of oil absorbing pads under the engine. Remove the oil pan drain plug. Install the hose for the exchange pump. Repeat.

You need to find a place to mount the oil exchanger and route 12V power to the pump.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 13:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I have a Reverso. It does my transmission, engine and generator. The hoses are connected to the oil pan drain plug. Installation is not complex, but it can potentially get messy and is a bit difficult.

Can you reach the oil pan drain plugs? If so, drain the oil with a dip stick pump. The lay a bunch of oil absorbing pads under the engine. Remove the oil pan drain plug. Install the hose for the exchange pump. Repeat.

You need to find a place to mount the oil exchanger and route 12V power to the pump.
Awesome, thank you!

You are pretty happy with the Reverso pump?

I'm a bit worried about doing this work myself, just because I am not 100% sure how to route the hose from the second engine. I also want to make sure it looks nice and clean... so having someone install it, might be best.
Old 03-10-2018, 14:27   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You should use two pumps, IMHO. One in each engine room.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 20:41   #5

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredApple View Post
I'm trying to find someone in the Fort Lauderdale area to install a oil change system in our sailing catamaran. We have two Volvo Penta D3 110 engines and a 21.5kw Onan generator... and I really want the oil change to be easy and clean.

I two systems GROCO U-LUBE and Reverso - do any of you have experience with either of these systems? Or maybe another comparable system?

It seems to be impossible to find good people in Fort Lauderdale -- well it has been a challenge.
These units seem very expensive for what they do. Sounds like you aren't perhaps interested in DYI, but if you are, a 1/4 hp 120 vac motor coupled to a carbonator pump with a simple manifold can be put together for about 1/2 the cost.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Yea, I thought about that. I suppose it would increase the cost quite a bit and I'd have 2 places that require electrical... BUT... it would avoid that long hose to the other side. I wish I could find a installer here in Fort Lauderdale to help out... ah Thanks for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
These units seem very expensive for what they do. Sounds like you aren't perhaps interested in DYI, but if you are, a 1/4 hp 120 vac motor coupled to a carbonator pump with a simple manifold can be put together for about 1/2 the cost.
I am a DIY guy, but the previous owners took REALLY good care of the boat. I don't want to start doing DIY things unless it's necessary. Our engine rooms are really clean, I want to make sure they stay that clean (or get even cleaner). One can always hope
Old 04-10-2018, 08:05   #7

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Reverso.
Love it.
Can also fill.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:24   #8

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

We have three Reverso OP-6 pumps on our cat. One for each of the Volvo D1-30s and one for the NextGen generator. Recommend that you purchase one for each engine. Keep the hose run very short and mount the pump next to the engine.

FYI, Reverso now making the OP-7 as a replacement. Check Defender.com as they carry and having sale to coincide with Boat Show this week. Should be in the $200 each range.

I've found them to be bulletproof and make the job of changing oil so much easier.

Good luck!

Jason
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:25   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredApple View Post

My single engine monohull boat came with a Reverso system installed by the previous owner.

It handles 4 systems:

-Main engine
-Transmission
-Generator
-Free hose for sucking oil/fuel/etc. from any location. [e.g., if you had an oil or fuel leak in the bilge, etc.]

The last is one most forget to install, and is the most handy.

I use the Reverso to drain oil from the engines, and to push new oil into the engines, etc. It is as quick and neat as you anticipate it to be...

Another consideration: If you can reach the location where the drain hose will be installed under the engine, etc. for a failsafe consider installing a Fumoto style drain valve [a model with a hose barb on it... they make straight and right-angle models.] This way if a drain hose ever fails, you won't loose your oil.

Best wishes getting things set up the way you want them.

Cheers! Bill
Old 04-10-2018, 08:31   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

That OP-7 looks good. You just take it to the engine you are working on.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:49   #11

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

Definitely agree with WRwakefield. The drain valve is important. Just remember it's there (I once thought my Reverso wasn't working because I forgot to open the valve). And yes, ordered an impeller which is still sitting in the spares bin.

As for local Ft. Lauderdale installers, if you don't want to do this yourself, contact Laurent at Just Catamarans at Harbourtown Marina and they can certainly do this for you.

Or contact Tim Allen and he'll come out to you. He's a former cat cruiser and is great to work with. Does really nice work and you can watch and learn!
Tim Allen
Boundless Outfitters
Boca Raton, FL 33487
(561) 228-4106 Phone
Sales@BoundlessOutfitters.com
Yacht Equipment and Service at Boundless Outfitters

Feel free to use my name/boat. When I can't do it myself, they're two down here in the Ft. Lauderdale area I personally use.

Jason
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:53   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:05   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Why don’t you give Reverso a call. They are located in Fort Lauderdale and might know someone locally who installs their systems.

Reverso offers both gear pumps and rubber impeller pumps. I think the gear pump requires less maintenance.

Groco offers both a gear pump and a vane pump. Both are good for oil change. I’d give a slight edge to the gear pump.

I assume your engines are relatively small and in different hulls. I think I’d go with a portable system like DeepFrz suggests, but get the one with a gear pump.

I would install a hose on the oil drain instead of trying to pull oil through the dip stick tube. The tiny tube that fits a dip stick tube restricts the flow which puts a strain on the pump and takes a long time to drain the pan.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:17   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a powerboat with 2 mains and 2 generators. I plumbed in the pans drains with valve and an 18" flexible hose so the vibration doesn't crack the piping. I use a 2nd hand gear pump and pump to a tank. No mess, no fuss. Commercial fuel docks pump out the waste oil tank from a deck fill.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 12:20   #15

I am having a hard time finding the oil drain plug. What a project.

Thanks for the help!!

Tags
oil, oil change