Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 18:16   #46

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: New injectors v rebuilding injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
If someone is spraying eather into a diesel engine they would not be working on my diesel. WD-40 is all you need, and much safer. Can be compression issues, or stuck valves.
I think ether is used on the old 2 stroke Jimmy Diesels, 6-71 etc. etc. It's also used to set a tractor tire bead in the field. You get the tire on the wheel somehow, spray ether inside the tire and hit it with a lighter. It explodes and pushes the bead against the rim. then you can put water or air inside.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 21:22   #47

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Even with a whole engine, it's had to break even. If you can get an exchange or send it off to an engine shop you are usually better off. Now if you want to take some short cuts (red neck ovhl) you can make a out rebuilding an engine for somebody but you do have to take the short cuts. Otherwise you are going to need to charge more than an exchange would be or at least more than some cheapskate wants to pay. People need to do their own work if you want a cheap deal. You can't keep a shop open doing favors for people who don't want to pay the price.
The only people who make money overhauling components, just overhaul components. You've got to be specialized these days. Oh and in my opinion, the biggest problem for a shop these days is the cost insurance.
If one is unable to make a living in ones' chosen field, one needs to chose another field. Econ 101: breaking even means net costs equal net profits. If that is ones' goal, one had either be independently wealthy or have an ultimate death wish. Put more real worldy, 'if your overhead exceeds your profits, baby's gonna be cryin, woman's gonna be leavin.'

Which, unsurprisingly I guess, mirrors most of your correspondences. While responding to them is kinda fun in a perverse sort of way, it's generally only a rainy day (of which we've had two consecutively here) kind of pleasure.

Likewise, bait and switch tactics (a discussion about the merits of a good mechanic versus a parts changer morphing into a discussion of costs related to running a business) are interesting in themselves, but (aside from the defensive and offensive training aspects), at best dilute or divert the discussion and ultimately lead everyone to question the motives or agenda of whomever instituted them.

Perhaps more interesting to non-participants reading this thread is the irony involved in the discourse between those wanting and needing a good mechanic, those who know what a good mechanic is, and those who thing a good mechanic is a parts changer who stays in business by making money.

And with that, I'm out, the costs (something better to do) have exceeded the benefits (enjoyment).
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 05:32   #48

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 351

After 800$ of time, $750 of parts, and no progress, and have not reached cracking the injectors, looking at the starter motor, or even changing the fuel filter on the engine, which I left a spare just to eliminate any flow issue, i let the mechanic go. I do have a new lift pump installed, which I probably needed at 3000 hours, and a red box $750 Westerbeke water pump (he gave me mechanic cost so $750 for pair) so it is really just the $800.

Found the local factory authorized service, and will make sure I am on the boat when they come. Too many variables. Wish I could do myself, but too little experience to try fooling with injectors and all this in really really tight spaces that a contortionist midget is required.

Oh for about an 80 foot powerboat with a real engine room! Sailboats were not designed for what we hang on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Former: The Spike, Island Packet 44 #14; Bali Ha'i, Pearson 10M #14
Pirateking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 05:47   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Maybe you should get a 2nd opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Find another mechanic
I was going to repeat Post 2 and 4, before realizing there were 4 pages in the thread...

Well...

At least you got some new parts!

I'm sure this will work out... make sure to update us....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 06:12   #50

This is probably ice to Eskimos but has anyone tried Mac Boring's Diesel engine hands on course.

Old 27-10-2015, 06:40   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateking View Post
This is probably ice to Eskimos but has anyone tried Mac Boring's Diesel engine hands on course.

Did a super abbreviated search for you and didn't find a post "dedicated" to the question...

I've only heard good things from those who fit the "target audience"... Suggest you post a new thread with the question!

Old 01-11-2015, 21:27   #52

I have an update, and the Westerbeke is RUNNING! Here is the story. As you may remember, I declined to let my mechanic who spent 7.5 hours replacing the fuel lift pump, emptying my cockpit lockers and getting the access panels off (can be hard) but next wanting to pull the injectors because it didn't seem to have compression, thought all the compression was going down stuck injectors.

Two guys from the factory parts company and authorized rep came out. started basic trouble shooting. Cranks a little slow one of them said! (Kudos to whoever kept asking that). Also said "Fuel smells funny." He said it smells a little like a bit of gas got in it, but agreed it could just be old, smelly, and growing things. Cracked the injectors, fuel at the injectors.

So he brought his own bucket of fuel, ran a line so that was used, (2) moved the battery cables from the genset battery to the main engine battery; (3) talked about it sounding flat, no compression, said he needed to get his can of WD-40, that you just crank and spray WD-40 in the intake, it would lube the rings and give compression.

In an hour they had it running. I asked them about servicing the injectors, (engine really has 2100 hours, I was wrong above). They said normally, yes, but since there was only about 4 inches above the injectors, that if one didn't come out, they couldn't get a tool in, better to wait until there were problems, because if it went badly, they might have to pull the whole engine.

We pulled heat exchanger, and it needed acid cleaning, so waiting for that. But looking much better. Thanks to all.

Mike
Old 02-11-2015, 05:21   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great news Mike !

Glad it worked out... and it sounds as though you have some fuel issues to deal with...

Plenty of threads address the issue... Good luck bud!

Old 02-11-2015, 15:37   #54

I used a friend / delivery skipper to bring the boat back from the Exumas in May, my mother was sick and died in june, as did my boat partner (the month of darkness). He took on fuel in Nassau. I am not sure he was running the polisher as it was coming in, nor did he use a baha filter to strain. I also have a feeling no biocide made it into the tank. The racors looked black, and this is why we use them.

But the real key I think is low battery and dry cylinder. Love the wd-40 idea.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:50   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateking View Post
But the real key I think is low battery and dry cylinder. Love the wd-40 idea.

Super sorry to hear about your dark period... Time will heal and strengthen the might...

Yes... on WD-40... Start fluid can kill a diesel if you're not careful...

Old 20-11-2021, 08:42   #56

Boat: S & S, sloop, 1958 40'
Re: New injectors v rebuilding injectors;WESTERBEKE 46 UNDER 3000 HRS.

MY S&S, 1958 Olin Stephens, I've owned for over a decade. A "weeping" fuel injector caused me to clean up and put in new aluminum washers (with the two holes on the return side, not under pressure) and happily it did fine in a Light Use season. however, on the last trip (6 hrs, 2200 in heavy seas) I dripped half a pint of fuel into the catch basin under engine (green plastic child's sled). And then, the same amount sitting at mooring just starting the boat for ten easy minutes running on mooring. I suspect a similar small leak from a fuel injector, not necessarily the same one I worked on. All four were removed, given new washers, cleaned up, the fuel line on return side removed, cleaned, repainted.
Question: since Hansen in Marblehead charges $485/injector I'm receptive to removing and cleaning and making every effort to make the seals tight; but I'm asking: Put in Rebuilt injectors rather than that degree of work? And if so, who is the supplier of legit rebuilt injectors for a Westerbeke 46 that may be 30 years old even with low hours on it. If I'm unwilling to pay $485/injector, I need guidance here, please. Thanks, new member, Doug Day, Rockport, Maine
VALENCIA.
Doug Day is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild