Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2016, 16:59   #16

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1
Re: New engine considerations for 2017

There is no better diesel in the world than the Kubota in my opinion.... I used a Kubota on a saw mill I owned in Panama.... but when I was away on a trip... the guys that cut the timber for me kept cutting until the oil could be called tar but they kept cutting because the engine kept running like a race horse... when I returned I quickly changed the oil and it ran like a new Kubota engine which means you have to use a stethoscope to hear it purr.(well a little bit of exageration)...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 17:26   #17

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

There was a thread on this last week.

I believe the beta is a Kubota.

If Was to rep wore I'd go for the beta ,ease of getting spares and the fact they it's easy to cross reference the parts to other motors.

And you don't need a computer to work on the thing like the new Yanmars and Vetus motors
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 17:49   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Always wondered why people go on about marinising engines so much. Its only a heat exchanger/raw water pump and an exhaust elbow.... Why is it such a big deal ?
Old 13-05-2016, 22:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Always wondered why people go on about marinising engines so much. Its only a heat exchanger/raw water pump and an exhaust elbow.... Why is it such a big deal ?
Emmalina that is exactly what I have learned in the past couple of weeks. They're just tractor engines with a few different bits for the water.
chicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 23:54   #20

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
I can't remember everything the Nanni sales person said they marinise, but it was a lot more than what you have suggested. I recall in addition to what you have suggested engine mounts are different, pumps added for oil transfer, something to do with lift pump.

And I don't think people 'go on about it' at all, but if you have a boat, you can't just slop in a tractor engine. Not unless your in Vietnam and you run a cruise ship on Halong Bay that is
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 03:52   #21

Well the boats I was on in Halong bay seemed to be very reliable. Yes the Nanni has an oil lift pump to helpsuck your oil out. But it is just a simple hand pump. In my case the hole in the sump for it is a bit smaller than Nannis part so will make a minor modification for fit. But could just drain the sump as you would a tractor. Other than that it's really just the heat exchanger instead of a radiator and engine mounts as you note. Took my new marinised tractor for first real spin this arvo. Runs very sweetly indeed��
chicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 04:32   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky View Post
Well the boats I was on in Halong bay seemed to be very reliable. Yes the Nanni has an oil lift pump to helpsuck your oil out. But it is just a simple hand pump. In my case the hole in the sump for it is a bit smaller than Nannis part so will make a minor modification for fit. But could just drain the sump as you would a tractor. Other than that it's really just the heat exchanger instead of a radiator and engine mounts as you note. Took my new marinised tractor for first real spin this arvo. Runs very sweetly indeed��
Most of the engine bays on those cruisers are nightmares. A lot of them have 'truck engines and gear boxes'. I was permitted to have a look in the engine bay of the one I was on and it was a hell of a shock

The salesman told me something about the cam shaft which is changed. It was in the context of marine engines sit on the same rpm for hour over hour where as tractor / car engines are constantly changing. And gaskets, head gasket ? Are changed to resist the corrosion. And freeze plugs are changed. There was quite a list of things that are done to marinise these engines and to do so they are stripped down and rebuilt. Well, at least that's what I was told.
Old 14-05-2016, 04:58   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
From the specs they look very heavy compared to say a Beta or Nanni equivalent. Sure the price is good but do I want to drag an extra 100 kgs around.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 05:10   #24

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Most of the engine bays on those cruisers are nightmares. A lot of them have 'truck engines and gear boxes'. I was permitted to have a look in the engine bay of the one I was on and it was a hell of a shock

The salesman told me something about the cam shaft which is changed. It was in the context of marine engines sit on the same rpm for hour over hour where as tractor / car engines are constantly changing. And gaskets, head gasket ? Are changed to resist the corrosion. And freeze plugs are changed. There was quite a list of things that are done to marinise these engines and to do so they are stripped down and rebuilt. Well, at least that's what I was told.
Sounds like a pork pie to me. Plenty of these size engines are sold as stationary engines that run at a single fixed speed all their operational lives (e.g. a genset). AFAIK it's only the bolt on options that change when ordered from the manufacturer and the mariniser is not going to strip a new engine down and blow all warranty on it.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 05:24   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Sounds like a pork pie to me. Plenty of these size engines are sold as stationary engines that run at a single fixed speed all their operational lives (e.g. a genset). AFAIK it's only the bolt on options that change when ordered from the manufacturer and the mariniser is not going to strip a new engine down and blow all warranty on it.
Nanni modifies Kubotos in France. They are the offical Kubotos mariniser. Beta are the British offical mariniser. Nothing they do invalidates Kubotos warranty.

There are many other smaller firms, like WM in Sydney who do void the warranty and thus they offer their own warranty.

Perhaps Genset engines are modified to operate a Genset? I don't know. But I'm suspecting you don't know either
Old 14-05-2016, 05:32   #26

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Bah, maybe they do customise the Nanni's slightly, certainly for raw water cooling, as some of the old nanni engines were this might have been a good idea.

But all this isnt needed. A straight Ebro (Spanish ford) tractor motor with a simple bolt on marinisation kit has powered my folks boat for 35 years. Snow Petrel's engine was an unmodified stationary Izuzu engine with keel cooling.

Diecon has good marinisation kits for a variety of nissan and izuzu truck engines.
Old 14-05-2016, 05:54   #27

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Nanni modifies Kubotos in France. They are the offical Kubotos mariniser. Beta are the British offical mariniser. Nothing they do invalidates Kubotos warranty.

There are many other smaller firms, like WM in Sydney who do void the warranty and thus they offer their own warranty.

Perhaps Genset engines are modified to operate a Genset? I don't know. But I'm suspecting you don't know either
I worked as an engineer for 16 years at a company that made.... Wait for it.... Marine gensets amongst other things. So I do have some idea.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 14:02   #28

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I would love to own a Kubota but the old Perkins just won't die.
Old 14-05-2016, 14:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I worked as an engineer for 16 years at a company that made.... Wait for it.... Marine gensets amongst other things. So I do have some idea.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Marine engines Reefy, we are discussing 'marinised' 'marine' engines. Not gensets.
Old 14-05-2016, 14:52   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I would love to own a Kubota but the old Perkins just won't die.
Damn Perkins

Do they have them in a 40-50

Edit: no they don't apparently from 80 up

Tags
engine