Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2018, 09:50   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43T
Need Starter Replacement Help

Hello, I am new to this so not sure how to do my own question. I am stuck at anchor with a dead starter motor.... terminal unfortunately.... it is a Bosch on my BMW D50. Apparently it is a reverse spin so almost impossible to source. Any help or advice much appreciated.
Tommee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 03:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Need Starter Replacement Help

Post moved from the Yanmar thread as this is a different make.

Sadly BMW don't have a great reputation for spares of marine items.

A previous thread on the subject:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ard-57592.html

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 03:49   #3

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Remove it from boat and take it to a automotive electrical repair shop. (Starter and alternator/generator rebuild shop). They should be able to rebuild it. Probably better than new.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 04:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
Remove it from boat and take it to a automotive electrical repair shop. (Starter and alternator/generator rebuild shop). They should be able to rebuild it. Probably better than new.
This is what I did in a similar situation. I have a Westerbeke that also has a reverse spin starter. When I first took the starter to the local auto alternator and starter repair shop they looked at the case and thought they could get me a standard truck starter to swap until they saw the reverse spin.

Rebuilt the old one as it's good as new. They were even able to swap out part of the case where a mounting bracket was cracked with parts from a standard starter.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 08:31   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
I had a flood that toasted my starter. I was able to get it rebuilt cheaply. Just go to the last third of this post (it was a big post!): https://alchemy2009.blogspot.ca/2017...ful-month.html
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 08:36   #6

You say you are stuck at anchor. Does that mean you cannot get ashore?

One time we landed our plane in a desert airport, no cars, no stores. When we tried to leave, the starter on one engine failed. A local "mechanic" happened by and helped remove the starter and take it apart. We found that a lead inside had become unsoldered. We fixed that and put all back together. The repair lasted 15 years. Just don't tell the FAA.

If something is "terminal", take it apart and look for problems. You might be able to fix it yourself.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 08:40   #7

Get it off and apart and look for carbon dust etc or any wires disconnected. Clean it up and try it. Sand the rotor copper surface with fine sandpaper if it's not clean. If the terminal is just gone you may be able to put a steel bolt in for temporary use.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 09:45   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommee View Post
Hello, I am new to this so not sure how to do my own question. I am stuck at anchor with a dead starter motor.... terminal unfortunately.... it is a Bosch on my BMW D50. Apparently it is a reverse spin so almost impossible to source. Any help or advice much appreciated.
I'm assuming terminal means you believe it is dead? Starters seldom go terminal. If your stuck at anchor. Take a large crescent wrench and whack the housing it may seat brushes that are on their last legs. Take it to a rebuilder, chances are a set of brushes and a turned armature will have you reliable.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 09:48   #9
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Tap it with a hammer. Flat spot could be the problem. Then get the bushing cleaned.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 12:48   #10

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Another common failure with starters is that the solenoid fails rather than the motor. Try shorting the two big bolt terminals while someone presses the starter. If the motor turns it's the solenoid that has gone and they are not unique to the starter motor so easier to replace.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 14:00   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'll add my vote. Remove the starter and have it rebuilt. Alternator/Starter rebuild shops are fairly common. Most do a great job at a price much cheaper than buying new...and your starter will work like new. On older engines, starters are pretty easy to remove yourself with just a few wrenches...although depending on the vessel, a few yoga moves may be needed.

And yes, I've experienced the failed starter that sprang to life with a few whacks of a hammer. It really works, and what's the cost to try? A voltmeter should be able to tell you if its the solenoid, starter button, or other minor causes. Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote