Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 03:06   #31

Boat: Viking 30
Ok here is an update to my sorry saga.
I couldn't get the thing to run so bit the bullet and called in the mechanic. After checking fuel etc, which I am proud to say was all good, she still wouldn't fire. Not even a squirt of aerostart would bring life to the old girl. It was decided that it must be a compression issue so, off with the head.
That took about an hour as the studs had some crud keeping the head stuck fast but eventually it was loosened and off it came.
Then it all made sense. One cylinder looked reasonable while the other had a pool of water on top. There was corrosion on a valve indicating that the head gasket had been leaking for a long time and there were valve marks on the top of the pistons indicating the head had been over tightened.
The cylinder walls were gouged and it was clear where the rings were and were not touching.
So there you have it. The little engine must come out and hopefully the parts can be found to rebuild her.
Thanks all for your input and wishful thinking, reality is such a bitch!
MollyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:17   #32

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: MD7a Newbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJo View Post
(...) and hopefully the parts can be found to rebuild her. (...)
Mate:

MD7 does not use sleeves (jackets) - the block must be machined to allow for replacement (bigger) rings/pistons. There were 3 rings/pistons sizes/sets to go thru the repairs but last time I found they were no longer in stock. Maybe they can be had from a local VP shop that keeps any amt of older parts. Maybe they can be ripped out from another MD7.

Maybe a good mechanic can find equivalent sets to fix your engine.

If the repair quote comes too high ...

Good luck!
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 21:46   #33

Boat: Viking 30
I figured it would be a challenge to find the piston and ring sets. By happy chance my mechanic rebuilds vintage diesels as a hobby so I guess if anyone has the contacts it's going to be him. Haven't heard back yet though.
Is there any particular hassle with coupling a new motor to the existing saildrive unit? Brand compatability? Or can most fit straight on with standard adaptor plates if necessary?
Cheers
Dave
MollyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 07:25   #34

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: MD7a Newbe

Given the vast quality difference between the old and new, I will bet the block is some old Swedish tractor (Albin?) Maybe aside from VP you can source parts directly from Sweden - there are people who still fix Albins there.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote